Hey man I remembered your issue with the SA-10, and I may have gotten a "fix" for SF2. I say that because I'm still trying to get it to engage accurately at long range, which it didn't do, but the series of photos show that when you get closer in, it'll get you.

Note the first misses are from following the profile from the tactical map. The last photo was another shot and I tried lowering my altitude, goading it to fire and... it got me.

What I think the clincher for it hitting me is the HOJ function that you can add. I noticed this while watching an SA-2 sail over me in an A-6E in Afghanistan. It tried desperately to turn on me, but since it was so old, that it overflew me quite a bit.

post-5735-12634940457263.jpg

post-5735-12634940569684.jpg

post-5735-12634940643812.jpg

post-5735-12634940731623.jpg

Edited by EricJ

Hi EricJ

I will get Honeyfox read this thread. We had been discussing this for quite a few days and, since TK is not gonna fix the VLS issue until the official version needs it, we have to find some compromised solutions.

One thing Honeyfox mentioned lately was making VLS missile "loft", so that artificially beam it to the rough target direction until the seeker take over. We seen quite a good accuracy for targets FAR FROM the launcher. Honeyfox tried with SA-10 and SA-19 and they all worked fine without tilting the missile on the launcher (i.e. perpendicular).

However, targets overhead are not that easy to hit as a result. In most cases the missiles failed to turn to the target before overshoot.

So, the ultimate solution is still unknown. We possibly seek for mix-match 2nd sort of missile, which specificly designed for overhead targets.

Edited by orsin

Guest HoneyFox

Hey man I remembered your issue with the SA-10, and I may have gotten a "fix" for SF2.  I say that because I'm still trying to get it to engage accurately at long range, which it didn't do, but the series of photos show that when you get closer in, it'll get you.

Note the first misses are from following the profile from the tactical map.  The last photo was another shot and I tried lowering my altitude, goading it to fire and... it got me.

What I think the clincher for it hitting me is the HOJ function that you can add.  I noticed this while watching an SA-2 sail over me in an A-6E in Afghanistan.  It tried desperately to turn on me, but since it was so old, that it overflew me quite a bit.

Thanks anyway.

HOJ? i think it is only used when the target uses ECM. but maybe there is some effects. I will have a try and reply later.

hmm... yes, when targets are closer, that means higher pitch angle of targetLOS (when they are faraway, the pitch angle are nearly 0), so the probability of the strange bug is smaller.

During my SA-15(Tor-M1) VLaunch test, i found that the bug will not happen unless 1) i'm flying low (lower than 200m AGL). 2) i'm flying away from the SAM launcher (the SAM launcher is at my 6 o'clock). when missile flies up, it does not turn forward down to the target's direction (target is in front of the missile), but turns into left or right. the angle between missile's direction and targetLOS is 90 degrees, very weird isn't it? and this bug still happens even if i turn loft on. when loft ends, the missile's normal guidance starts to work. and it will quickly turn away to left or right for about 90 degrees... well, the only reason resulting this may be that the velocity of the missile is lower than that of the target. but when i'm flying high and fast, the missile doesn't have any bug. so... what's more, it is not easy to judge how fast the missile is even if i use the debug mode.

Edited by HoneyFox
  • Dislike 2

.......when missile flies up, it does not turn forward down to the target's direction (target is in front of the missile), but turns into left or right. the angle between missile's direction and targetLOS is 90 degrees, very weird isn't it......

could that possibly be a problem with the missile model itself? is that issue omni-directional? Since it is VLS, the launcher does not turn the missile to the target before launch, that could confuse the game engine, and then maybe it fails to tell which axel controls pitch/yaw.