Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Now c'mon ..you KNOW you want one!

Not with that poxy gunsight in the face, I loathe those things. :grin:

Yes, indeed, I want one for dinner! Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

When I read the title, I had the suspicion before seeing the pic,

that it was about a Sopwith Snipe. Will you never give up?

But okay: you can use my vote FOR it - my Fokker E.V needs some fodder!

Mmmuahahahahahahahaaaa!!!!!

Sadly, I have to use FS9 to fly mine :(

post-22245-12636658292522.jpg

Well, what Wikipedia says about it sounds not bad.

The Snipe's structure was rather heavier, but much stronger, than earlier Sopwith fighters.

Although not a fast aircraft for 1918, it was very maneuverable, and much easier to handle

than the Camel, with a superior view from the cockpit - especially forwards and upwards.

The Snipe also had a superior rate of climb, and much better high-altitude performance com-

pared to its predecessor, allowing it to fight Germany's newer fighters on more equal terms.

But note the last line:

...allowing it to fight Germany's newer fighters on more equal terms.

More equal - that means, still not really equal!

Well, what Wikipedia says about it sounds not bad.

The Snipe's structure was rather heavier, but much stronger, than earlier Sopwith fighters.

Although not a fast aircraft for 1918, it was very maneuverable, and much easier to handle

than the Camel, with a superior view from the cockpit - especially forwards and upwards.

The Snipe also had a superior rate of climb, and much better high-altitude performance com-

pared to its predecessor, allowing it to fight Germany's newer fighters on more equal terms.

But note the last line:

...allowing it to fight Germany's newer fighters on more equal terms.

More equal - that means, still not really equal!

Indeed Olham...amazing that we won in fact...but we did did'nt we?..hahahahah

Robby 88 was the guy who is working on the Snipe...he did the Biff too..

I can't find anything about him post 2008..I know he was not well...does anyone have any further info on him?

Can I have 2 please ??? One for everyday flying and 1 for Sunday best ???

Robby 88 was working on a Dolphin (and indeed many WW1 A/C for FSX and CFS3)...but there have been no entries on his blog since Xmas '09

I think the fact that the DVII was specifically named as part of the terms of Germany's capitulation shows in what respect the Allies held it. Yeates in 'Winged Victory' alludes to the ability of the DVII to outfight the Camel in the hands of a skilled pilot but also to how few of those there were and the reluctance of German pilots to engage otherwise.

I suspect that, all other things being equal, a Snipe would lose out to a DVII. But Germany hadn't a chance by then... a situation repeated in WW2, of course... superior technology, inferior manpower... and inferior infrastructure and support.

Edited by Dej

Well, I'm glad Germany didn't win.

I think we are better respected in the world now, than we would have been then.

But apart from all supply and resource questions:

just take out your school atlas and open a map of the whole globe.

Now take a piece of transparent paper and copy the outlines of France, Great Britain,

Canada, Australia and the USA around the outline of Germany...

Got the idea?

:rofl: Indeed, Rickitycrate - I think he was rather "advice-resistant".

And the advisors he listened to where junkies and mad!

Too late for what? For advising Hitler????

I'd rather have escaped to England with the first plane I could get!

Or too late for Elly Beinhorn? Hmmm..... Yes...

Edited by Olham

Oi you lot!...stop hijacking my thread!! :grin:

UK, must I only have one Snipe? I want many Snipe, Snipes or Snippets. Does the Snipe you pictured fly in FS2004? Are there any WWI birds for that sim. What if OBD could move their OFF accomplishments to FS2004? It's Microsoft. Would that make for a good WWI engine. I just wonder because you got me to wondering with your Snipe pics and ideas. Did I say I want the Snipe too? I do. What do you think?

For god's sake, give the man a Snipe, so I can fight him and send him into the soil!

Did I say, I love Snipes? ...with mustard! Hmmm!!!!

UK, must I only have one Snipe? I want many Snipe, Snipes or Snippets. Does the Snipe you pictured fly in FS2004? Are there any WWI birds for that sim. What if OBD could move their OFF accomplishments to FS2004? It's Microsoft. Would that make for a good WWI engine. I just wonder because you got me to wondering with your Snipe pics and ideas. Did I say I want the Snipe too? I do. What do you think?

Yes, FS2004...and a modified version for FSX...looks great!...Just NO DAMN GUNS!!

Long before the Snipe turns up - and, frankly before the EV/DVIII - I'd have preferred to see various two seaters and common(ish) single seaters. We all know what those should be...