Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

Pic from tonights Vasco mission.

Thanks for all who took part,another fantastic session.Salute.gif

post-45885-12637712090162.jpg

Nice shot. It looks like you had better visibility than I did...I couldn't even see my wing tips. I didn't even see that Strutter until he came up below me and took the wings off.

He's a question for you experts:

Balloon busting with DH-2s -- given that they don't dive well, were we better off with the level attack, or should we have kept altitude and tried diving on them? I think diving would give less time in the flak, but those crates stop responding to controls if you get too fast. What do you all think?

Von Guber, I totally agree with a more or less level attack, shallow dive at best. Nothing you can do about a flak hit. I, on the other hand, took a header from a plane I knew was out there, knew was close, but couldn't see.blink.gif

My pics (official BDA photos appropriately color-free):

First, the bombing raid. In this one two hangars can clearly be seen burning in the forground, but there's a third in the background, too

post-47353-12637793522666.jpg

And here's the fourth a little later

post-47353-12637793697597.jpg

OK, not actual BDA, but I might submit this to the London Times. Waddya think? Front page?

post-47353-126377938659.jpg

Now for some 'just for fun' shots:

Don't remember who it was asking to see what we saw (I think it was vonGuber), but here's what night flying looked like to me

post-47353-12637794117641.jpg

This was later in the day, but early that morning. This is why men and women fly

post-47353-1263779424765.jpg

All that's left of a Halberstadt I found beating up on a lone Sopwith LRT (Strutter). Too bad it was my second plane of the mission

post-47353-12637794413527.jpg

Von Guber, I totally agree with a more or less level attack, shallow dive at best. Nothing you can do about a flak hit. I, on the other hand, took a header from a plane I knew was out there, knew was close, but couldn't see.:blink:

Yes, it is hard to see through that engine back there...

I asked about the balloon attack because I just finished reading James Norman Hall's book last night. One thing that struck me was his account of being volunteered as a "balloonatic" (sic). His flight leader told him and his partner to fly high over the balloon, then cut their engines and push the nose over to come down on it from above. Of course, they had rockets and were flying something besides DH-2s, (can't remember for sure, but I think SPADs) but it made me wonder if the advice would work for us too. The level approach gives everyone a clear shot at the approaching craft... I may try diving next time. Can't be any worse...:blink:

Edited by VonGuber

It does depend on the plane you're flying. Higher speed makes you a harder target for ground fire, so if my plane can take it I dive and zoom climb away. But you were asking about DH2's and that's the frame of reference for which I tailored my answer. If you're in a SPAD or Nieuport or SE5, etc. then you'd dive.

Yes Stump, they went well. Are the results to count in the campaign?

I hope not! When Vasco cancelled I found something else to do that afternoon! It was my impression they were just for fun missions.

Fair point Ax, we will call it a good day's training then...Salute.gif