Sign in to follow this  
itifonhom

OT: Back into modeling 2

Hello friends!

Looking at Siggi´s wonderful Spitfire thread and work I thought maybe I would also post a photo of my latest modeling work after years, two or so I think. Quit modeling for a while because of FSX, yes, I was to busy learning and flying all the time, so all my projects were put on ice. But, getting to know OFF, urged me to make a small collection of 1/72 Revell WWI aircrafts, at first, just to get to distinguish the types. After a while though, I got to love the brush and paintwork again and finally finished that old bust that was waiting on my desktop for more than two years!

It´s a Young Miniatures Bust at 1/10, an SS soldier taking part at the Ardennes offensive. A beautiful resin cast with lots of details. I´m no fan of camouflaged clothing painting and here I did really the best I could. The bust is painted mostly with oils, but also acrylics and pastels. Photos always tend to destroy the feeling and that´s no exception. Finally got just one descent one, with 1,3" exposure at f10 and ISO400, that´s why there´s some noise at the shadows.

That´s all guys, please let me know what you think and of course any feedback is welcomed, I think I´m going to visit Ingolstadt for the "Herzog von Bayern" competition with this figure this year, so any comments are mostly welcomed!!!!  Thanks! 

ss1ut.jpg

Anastasios.

Ah, that is superb! I can only imagine how it looks in the flesh.

Suggestions...gloss the eyeballs (assuming they're not already done and it's just the photo), and maybe make some reflective points on some of the hardware (bright gloss-points on metal).

I've done only one proper figure in my modelling 'career', a 1/24th SS soldier. Ain't that camo a biyatch! :D I'll post a pic in a while. He's a bit damaged, I did it over 20 years ago and only recently got it back from my mother.

I've also done some 1/6th Dragon dolls (basically an action-man with real fabric clothing which cried out for weathering, as did the hardware). I'll post a pic of one of those as well.

My god, I could go professional at making stuff look like s**te with photography! :rofl:

ssman01.jpg

ssman02.jpg

ssman03.jpg

If yours looks that good in a photo it must be stunning in the flesh. :good:

Here are some more photos I just shot.....

ss2ie.jpg

ss3sq.jpg

ss4d.jpg

Shot them at natural light outside at my really cold balcony!

What pattern did you go for, Oak-A?

I love all this modelling talk and photo's. Thanks guys. Great work. Inspiring, really. Is the MvR bust from the Dragon 1/48 DRI kit? I have that and the Rickenbacker bust but I have been afraid to mess them up so there they sit. Somewhere... yours looks great!

To be honest Siggi, I'm not really sure! It's either Oak-A or Oak-B, had a photo in front of me and tried to do the best. Rickitycrate, if you weren't so far away, I could offer a paint for your busts. I love training on figures that I don't have to pay for, even if I have to send them back when they're ready!

Anastasios

Iti, yes too bad for me that you are so far away. But your pics can serve as a reference for me at least.

Anastasios,

taking your pics in natural light has brought your Soldat to life. Good luck at the competition.

Rickitycrate,

you're right on the money. MvR is from the Dragon 1/48th Dr1. Bloody nice figure. Glad you liked him.

Cheery Antipodean greetings,

Kais

I've never really heard of painting busts before, but they look pretty cool. All of them look really good. Is it just me or does Iti's last pic look a bit like Clint Eastwood?

-Rooster

Now that you mention it, actually...... yes, looks a bit like Eastwood!!

Anastasios