Sign in to follow this  
Windchill

I am the only one this warped?

Ok, I take a quick screenie near the merge or on a gunnery pass so I can note the markings of the enemy.

Then, after the mission, I hop out of OFF and into WTV, my local friendly DDS viewer, and go squadron by squadron until I ID the opposition. Two questions: #1 - as stated in this poll, am I the only wierdo doing this?

And #2 - there has GOT to be an easier way of guessing a squadron, then opening squentially to find the right one. I mean, I just ID'd a Spad 7 from Esc 3 (got lucky on this one) and Nupe 17's from Esc 76 and 77 (not so lucky on these two!)

Any ideas for help?

Happy OFFing!

If you are going to all the trouble of taking the screen shot, why dont just hit pause (if you aren't already to "compose" the shot) and turn on the labels and see where the plane is from?

Beard

I do too, but it would be a quick way to identify the plane.

Well, if turning on labels briefly is too anti-immersion for you, you can always go through the new pilot creation process for the country and type (fighter or bomber) you're interested in. Then just select each squadron in turn until you see a picture of its insignia. For lower-numbered squadrons, you should also set the date to that of your last mission, because they often changed their names and insignia. Higher-numbered squadrons, however, tended to keep their insignia throughout.

And this isn't anti-immerision. Think of it as paging through the intel reports in the squadron office after your mission.

What I've done is to copy and convert all the .DDS skins to .JPGs and file them by aircrat type. I've then gone through and written down each Jasta's markings by year and month so I can just look it up quickly. I only look it up however if I've encountered the same bunch more than once... immersion-wise I'm comparing notes with other pilots and listening to the scuttlebutt going up and down the squadrons in the line.

So, no :grin: you're far from being the only one...

Edited by Dej

Thanks, all for the helpful replies - with a special thanks to Dej for helping me to start our support group!

The more I think about the immersion factor, the less I think I'll turn labels on. I was in a fight with a bunch of Pups the other day, and after the fight I was looking up the skin of my opponent only to find he was an ace - Collinshaw! YIKES! I'm really glad I didn't know that during the fight!

If only I hadn't collided with him, ending yet another promising career! It is kind of fun to go thru after the fact and learn who I was up against.

So - Hi! My name is Windchill, and I look up squadrons! (Hi, Windchil!)

:) Happy OFFing!

Edited by Windchill

Hey, Windchill

I could have sworn I posted this already, but no!

So again (must have dreamt it):

you could google for the free program download of "DXTBmp", a prog to browse

through skins with, and to convert them from .dds files to 24 bit bmp files.

On the bmp's, you could then work in Photoshop to create your own skins.

Then you convert them back into .dds format into the skins folder, which is here:

(your game folder) > campaigns > campaign data > skins