Sign in to follow this  
Jeethro433

Installation problem

I just tried to install OFFBHaH for the first time (tried three times) and get the following error.

c:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\Videos\OFF-CREDITS.wmv

an error occurred while trying to copy a file:

the drive cannot find the sector requested.

-------------------------

I have tried to Retry and to Ignore but the installation keeps hanging up.

Anybody got any ideas or suggestions?

I have tried cleaning the DVD.

It seems to be a problem with the DVD media.

You could try to copy the entirely DVD to the HD without installing, just to see if there is any error while copying the files.

If there isn't any problem while copying than it must be something else.

EDIT: Sorry I almost forgot to say, Welcome!

Edited by Von Paulus

It seems to be a problem with the DVD media.

You could try to copy the entirely DVD to the HD without installing, just to see if there is any error while copying the files.

If there isn't any problem while copying than it must be something else.

EDIT: Sorry I almost forgot to say, Welcome!

Thanks! I'll try that and if it is a media problem, I'll contact customer service.

I am excited to play BHH:OFF so I purchased a copy of Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 3, which I understand is the baseline game necessary for installation of BHH:OFF. When attempting to install my copy of CFS3 I got an error which said "Inadequte swap file size or corrupted CAB6.CAB file. Please restart your computer and try again. Uninstalling CFS3."

I assumed I had a CD with a corrupt CAB6.CAB so I returned it for replacement and had the identical experience. I tried to contact ValuSoft but their support website links don't work. I called Microsoft and CFS3 is no longer under tech support warranty and they recommended I buy Flight Simulator X which I don't believe will work for BHH:OFF (which was the whole reason I bought CFS3 in the first place). None of the KnowledgeBase articles addressed an installation error like mine. I went into System and changed the virtual memory swap file size from 8GB to 13GB (12+ was recommended) so there should be more than adequate capability for this older game.

I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium running on an XFX750i SLI with twin EVGA GeForce 9500 video cards (1GB each), 8GB of DDR2 RAM, and 2 1TB SATA hard drives so hardware should not be limiting factor. I set the SETUP.EXE file to Run As Administrator in XP Compability Mode and the same problem occurs. I don't know if I can find an uncorrupted full download of CFS3 somewhere (I have the original CDs) I can use for trying to get the game installed. If anyone can help me out here I'd really appreciate it. My copy of BHH:OFF will probably arrive in the mail next week and I'll be unable to use it without an installed copy of CFS3.

Hmmmm. Second problem with a CD and a DVD..... it seems your drive is not in good health. :this:

EDIT: Sorry for mistaking you with Jeethro433. Welcome to the forum. :drinks:

Edited by Von Paulus

Hmmmm. Second problem with a CD and a DVD..... it seems your drive is not in good health. this.gif

They may be a possibility, although I copied all the files to hard drive and got the same CAB6.CAB error so I don't believe it's my CD drive.

I also have a Blu-Ray Disk drive I can try. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes. Thanks Paulus.

They may be a possibility, although I copied all the files to hard drive and got the same CAB6.CAB error so I don't believe it's my CD drive.

I also have a Blu-Ray Disk drive I can try. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes. Thanks Paulus.

Hey Paulus, IT WORKED!!!

It installed fine from the BD drive and I got the full CFS3 game installed.

Thanks so much--you saved me tons of delay and frustration. Appreciate your help.

Mo Morgan

MoMorgan,

Just out of interest is your DVD drive an IDE one?

The reason I ask is I have 2 DVD drives, 1 of which is an IDE DVD-Rom, and the other one is a SATA DVD +/- RW drive.

I have problems with my IDE drive, it always gives me a cyclic redundancy error within the first 5% of installing, but my SATA drive works fine.

Just interested.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

MoMorgan,

Just out of interest is your DVD drive an IDE one?

The reason I ask is I have 2 DVD drives, 1 of which is an IDE DVD-Rom, and the other one is a SATA DVD +/- RW drive.

I have problems with my IDE drive, it always gives me a cyclic redundancy error within the first 5% of installing, but my SATA drive works fine.

Just interested.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

It has nothing to do with being sata or pata(ide). Cyclic redundancy errors usually means one thing. Or the media is with defect or you've a problem with optical lens in the drive. If it's always giving cyclic redundancy errors in each media you put in the tray then I can a assure you that you've to replace the drive.