Sign in to follow this  
navychief

Need Advice Choosing Graphics Card

Hey all

I need to get a new graphics card. Presently, I am running a Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200. It's a good card, but only has 64 MB of RAM.

Problem is, my FPS in FS2004 really take a hit at times. Take for example, the latest "Super Hornet". A truly beautiful aircraft, but when I try to fly it, my FPS rates drop to 8 or below sometimes, making it impossible to fly.

So, although I cannot afford a top-of-line graphics card, I am wondering if a new card with 128 MB of RAM would solve my problem?

1833 megahertz Intel Pentium 4

My processor is a 1.8 MHZ Pentium 4. (1833 megahertz). And I have 512 of RAM.

So, please let me know what you think?

Navy Chief

The new ATI and NVIDIA cards comming out are really nice. They will run about $300 but it's a good investment.

The Radeon 9800 Pro is top notch...and is hittiin the market around $219...some places slightly less

<C>

Fates

How much are you willing to spend chief?

$96 - ATI Radeon 9600 w/ 128Mb

$128 - ATI Radeon 9600 Pro w/ 128Mb

$153 - ATI Radeon 9600XT w/ 128Mb

$167 - ATI Radeon 9600XT w/ 256Mb

$204 - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 128Mb

$275 - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 256Mb

$408 - ATI Radeon 9800XT w/ 256Mb

$445 - ATI Radeon X800 Pro w/ 256Mb

I don't know as much about Nvidia (as I've become an ATI fan) but:

$124 - Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 w/ 128Mb

$135 - Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 w/ 128Mb

$145 - Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 w/ 256Mb

$190 - Nvidia GeForce FX 5900XT w/ 128Mb

$397 - Nvidia GeForce FX 5950 w/ 256Mb

I would go with ATI, they seem to be faster, render better graphics, and are somewhat cheaper than their Nvidia couterparts. I beleive all of these are good cards, it just depends on how much you're willing to spend.

PS You wouldn't happen to want to send me your card would you? free of charge perhaps? :D

Edited by PG_Raptor

Thanks for all the advice. One person, on a different forum, advised me that I would need to update my CPU to fix my problem.

First off, as I understand it, I would need to replace my motherboard also, wouldn't I? If replacing my CPU by itself, is an option, I need to know about this.

I would rather, at this point, simply replace my graphics card if that would fix my FPS difficulties.

What do you all think????

Not wanting to spend a lot, know-what-I-mean-Vern?

Navy Chief

I run a AMD 2400 @1.6Ghz.....

Honestly...I don't think you need to replace you CPU at all... I think you will kick back and slam a cold shot of Whiskey while in awe after seeing what a new graphics card can do for your machine.

Matter of Fact, I'll buy if you aren't amazed.

<C>

Fates

Sounds good, Fates.

Now then, take for example the first card that PG Raptor mentions; the ATI Radeon 9600 w/ 128Mb, for 96 bucks. Will that card exceed the performance of my Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200, simply because it has more RAM? I am not up on the different capabilities of graphics cards. I know that I could spend a LOT of cash and get a great card, but if the ATI Radeon 9600 w/ 128Mb will do what I want (fly FS9 with better FPS than I presently have), then hey, why spend more $$$$?

Whatdya think?

NC

Hey Fates, why would you want to run your XP2400 (a 2.0GHz CPU) at 1.6GHz whilst gaming? :huh:

navychief, apart from DX9.0 capability a regular ATI 9600 is roughly on a par performance wise with your existing card.

I reckon that you would have to go to at least a 9600XT to get an appreciable difference & if you're going to spend that you might as well spend the extra for a 9800 Pro which will be noticeably faster again. With any luck prices should drop a bit more as the new cards hit the market.

re. upgrading your cpu do you know what motherboard your pc uses?

Edited by BUFF

Hey Buff

I ran a Belarc readout, and got the following info:

Intel Corporation D850MV AAA56423-301 (motherboard)

1833 megahertz Intel Pentium 4

8 kilobyte primary memory cache

256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Controller

Primary IDE Channel [Controller]

Secondary IDE Channel [Controller

Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442

Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444

NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller

NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller

NC

Depending on board Rev. you may be able to fit upto a 2.6GHz but you also might be pretty close to your max.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv/mv_proc.htm

P.S. I like your sig :)

"Elwood: Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now."

"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers HAS been approved"

Actually, navy, there's a few things you could do. First, you could simply go into FS2004 and scale down the graphics. I've got some things that might help you get better settings. Second, you could buy a new graphics card. As Buff said, the regular 9600 is about on par with the 4200. If you wanted to upgrade, again as buff said, go for the 9600XT, or even the 9800 Pro. Third, you could replace your CPU, but that probably wouldn't help you as much as a new graphics card. also, you'd have to make sure you upgrade with the same socket type, unless you wanted to replace your motherboard as well. Lastly, you could contact me, I'd build you a new kick a** computer, sell it to you on wholesale, and have you send me your old one as payment :D

Sorry BUff....that should read 1.9 (2ghz according to Bios)

Anyway NC, lots of good advice here. If it were me, I would save for the best. I just hate compromising, but I understand the money thing. I always tend to look down the road far enough (3yrs) and ask my self if I will still be happy with my selection. Buying a comparable card to the 4200 may be fine now, but what about next year when you want to fly FS2005?? Will you still be satisfied. My outlook is that money spent now will pay off in frustation down the road. I've been 100% happy with my ATI 9700 PRO AIW (a year old now) and I suspect I will be happy for a couple more years....or at least my Wife will when she gets my hand-me-downs...hehe

<C>

Fates

Hey Fates, thanks for the advice.

Yes, when all is said and done, the deciding factor is....money. When I get through paying the next quarterly taxes to the IRS Nazis, if I have enough pennies left, I will see about affording a new card.

Go NAVAIR!

NC

you could contact me, I'd build you a new kick a** computer, sell it to you on wholesale, and have you send me your old one as payment :D

I still like that idea /\ /\ /\ /\ :lol:

Yeah, I like the idea too. Tell you what, you build me a kick **s gaming computer for FREE, and then I will provide you all the testimonials on what a quality product that you make, and how satisfied I am...for FREE! The way I look at it, its a win, win situation, eh?

Heh, heh....

Navy Chief

Alright, I'm up for that. I'll build it for you for free. However, the parts will be on wholesale. I'll even get you free shipping. Just don't mind the fact that there are two of everything on you parts list...