Sign in to follow this  
taktik

How to Amraam/ Avoid being shot

Hey guys ,

I have been playin falcon for a month now and my god it is so hard to aim in this game I played EF2000/TOPGUN before and its much easier , which makes this game prettier

anyway I hope someone can answr these:

1-I know how to aim with the Amraam (using radar projection) but how do I switch targets ?

2-How do I know when is the best time to shoot the amraam ? There is that Sideway V sign that give a long range medium range and short range , which one to use?

3-How do I know someone shoot a missile at me ? with sound notification ? 'Missle Launch' message?

4-Everytime I play the trainin mission for the Amraam I get shot

5- How do you know you hit your target with your missile? Pitbull message ?

6-What do you do when there are 6 bandits right infront of you?

please help out guys

I'm also still learning to survive in a campaign. My advices would be:

1. Target switching as far as I know: unlock the current target and lock a new one

2. You have the big weapon circle in your HUD. In this circle is another little on.

The AMRAAM always tries to go on an intercept path. This little circle shows you

where to steer to. If it is upper left located in the big circle, climb and turn left.

Try to get it in the center. This is the perfect fire direction. To decide the launch

distance you have to consider if there is a MIG29 approaching or you are chasing

an AN24. In first case fire earlier and turn 180 degrees to avoid a missile

3. When a radar guided missile is fired on you, you will get a sound warning. An

IR-missile cannot be detected by your RWR. If you have an enemy behind yourself

and you are in doubts, release flares preventive.

5. If you have your target in sight, you can see the missile impact. Mostly you'll have

changed flight direction and the solution comes with the debriefing.

6. Try to fire all your MRM's onto a different target and escape as fast as you can.

Hey guys ,

I have been playin falcon for a month now and my god it is so hard to aim in this game I played EF2000/TOPGUN before and its much easier , which makes this game prettier

anyway I hope someone can answr these:

1-I know how to aim with the Amraam (using radar projection) but how do I switch targets ?

2-How do I know when is the best time to shoot the amraam ? There is that Sideway V sign that give a long range medium range and short range , which one to use?

3-How do I know someone shoot a missile at me ? with sound notification ? 'Missle Launch' message?

4-Everytime I play the trainin mission for the Amraam I get shot

5- How do you know you hit your target with your missile? Pitbull message ?

6-What do you do when there are 6 bandits right infront of you?

please help out guys

Theres a bit much there to what you are asking, mnost of your questions can be found by

1. reading the manual;

2. looking at old threads (its all been covered) on here/simhq/frugals(when back);

3. Practise the training missions over and over.

heres some basics - if you are using realistic avionics:

1. unlock the target and lock up another one on radar (RWS/TWS), or if they are close use an ACM mode to lock them automatically.

2. You will see the circle get bigger when its in range - you also have other cues - all in manual

3. depends - with IR or Active radar (eg R-77) you wont get a warning - with R-77s - they will show up on your RWR when they go active - this may be too late to save you though.

4. Here you need to use your radar to take out the MiG-25s, then move the radar antenna to find the MiG-29s quickly and take them out - may be best to use unlimited ammo herefor practise - there are about 8 planes in theatre.

5. You can use zoom and NVGoggles (with trackir) - or use the Missile view key even to take a look. Pitbull just means your AMRAAM has gone active - this is in the manual

6. if they have missiles die every time - you screwed up getting into that situation! - if you are talking about the porked radar training mission then learn to shoot with the radar modes and fly fast - dont let any get on your tail or you are dead.

First and foremost, I would like to welcome you to the Falcon community!

At the risk of engaging in a little 'fanboyism' I would just like to say that Falcon is probably unlike any other PC flight sim you've ever played. For me personally it is a hobby unto itself, completely separate from my other gaming activity. This may be something that you want to consider if you don't have a lot of time to spend on one game. If you really, REALLY find yourself enthralled with this sim (hopefully you will) then you will want to consider a top notch joystick and throttle as well. They can be expensive $50-$250, money well spent if you play often. I cannot describe how much more playable this sim is with a good HOTAS control setup.

I was completely overwhelmed by the magnitude of this sim when I began playing, 10 years ago. Oftentimes I still find something that I have absolutely no clue about (or it finds me! like an R-77 missile! lol) and basically: I still suck :grin:.

With regards to your post; as migbuster has alluded to; your questions are too vague and broad to be effectively answered in one shot.

Unfortunately the old forum 'frugal's world' is down, most likely forever, there were miles of how-tos and guides for new guys. Now there is very little. The FreeFalcon guys have a good forum but using information from them can be confusing for us Allied Force guys because of different key maps and a lot of other stuff. I'm not going into modding the original game here.

The best thing to do is print out the training missions from the manual (maybe just a few at time) set them on your lap and go through them often. Practice does make perfect. A lot of things in Falcon are 'muscle memory' (landing, air to air refueling, formation flying etc). For me this was the only way I could learn. Falcon is really more of a patience thing than an action thing.

To this day I still play one dogfight (furball) and one training mission (Landing Final Approach) before logging into my campaign game. This gets me 'warmed up' and trains my brain for the right sight picture when I land.

Just keep trying those training missions by the book and you will do just fine. Oh and don't forget to turn on Invulnerability once and while and have some ridiculous fun!

Best of luck!

Thank you guys for your replies , and specially the vid

One way I found that could really help is to keep the enemy on your 3 or 9 o clock hold them there untill you get riskless lock on which then you can initiate a missile shot.

ofcourse shooting flares and chaff , I did this trick I literaly dodged 6 incoming missile in one mission tactic. be reminded that you should keep focused on the audio tone in order to find out your situation.

Other than that always always be the first one to attack