Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Flight model for Skunkworks Alb D.IIIoef

Is there an updated FM for the AlbatrosD.IIIoef from the Skunkworks? It is a new release as a flyable aircraft. It was a static aircraft first. You can see it in the Flanders Terrain as a parked aircraft. Would be good to make a few Austrian skins out of it.

Edited by quack74

I think I can do one easily - based on a Alb D3 FM I have done recently. Just uprate engine from 170hp to 185hp and other stuff to have a Series 53.2 Oeffag. Maybe tonight. I'll post zip on this thread.

I think the model he made is the later one with the 245hp? not sure off the top of my head.

EDIT; found this on the net.

The Oeffag aircraft were built in three main versions (series 53, 153, 253) using the 138, 149, or 168 kW (185, 200, or 225 hp) Austro-Daimler engines respectively. The Austro-Daimlers provided improved performance over the Mercedes D.IIIa engine. For cold weather operations, Oeffag aircraft featured a winter cowling which fully enclosed the cylinder heads.

Austrian pilots often removed the propeller spinner from early production aircraft, since it was prone to falling off in flight.[11] Beginning with aircraft 112 of the series 153 production run, Oeffag introduced a new rounded nose that eliminated the spinner. Remarkably, German wind-tunnel tests showed that the simple rounded nose improved propeller efficiency and raised the top speed by 14 km/h (9 mph).[11]

All Oeffag variants were armed with two 8 mm (.315 in) Schwarzlose machine guns. In most aircraft, the guns were buried in the fuselage, where they were inaccessible to the pilot. In service, the Schwarzlose proved to be somewhat less reliable than the 7.92 mm (.312 in) LMG 08/15, mainly due to problems with the synchronization gear.[11] The Schwarzlose also had a poor rate of fire.[11] At the request of pilots, the guns were relocated to the upper fuselage decking late in the series 253 production run.[11]

175_19.jpg

175_9.jpg

Edited by whiteknight06604

I think the model he made is the later one with the 245hp? not sure off the top of my head.

Ah, could be right whiteknight. But just finished this FM for the 185hp, it will have to do for now - changing the FM for a 245hp engine would take some time, even upgrading to a 185hp was trickier than I first thought. Maybe down the track.

AlbatrosD3Oef_DATA.zip

hey your the expert and I'll certainly not look a gift horse in the mouth.thanks,your flight models make such a difference.

hey your the expert and I'll certainly not look a gift horse in the mouth.thanks,your flight models make such a difference.

Thanks whiteknight and thanks for some of your feedback over the past on the FMs. As you know getting feedback here is sometimes like extracting teeth.

So on a completely different topic, would you mind having a try of a couple of FMs, and letting me know what you think? Just briefly - good, bad, interesting etc. I often do a couple different versions of the of FMs for myself, but often only upload one for various reasons. The three are another Se5a FM, a Camel FM, a Dr1 FM. The last two aren't finished, but just need to know if they are worth cleaning up/doing AI (this takes some time too!).

Let me know, if no, that is okay, if yes I'll upload here.

Sorry quack for hijacking your thread!

I'll give it a shot,don't know how much help I'll be but I'll do what I can.As for Quack,yeah we kinda went offroad with your thread

Edited by whiteknight06604

I'll give it a shot,don't know how much help I'll be but I'll do what I can.As for Quack,yeah we kinda went offroad with your thread

Ok good, thanks.

Se5a is called Se5aViper for testing (different to Viper I uploaded before too) - I'm interested in how it compares to the latest Se5a I did - I know you have that, you provided feedback. Simple feedback - better, worse, same, both good etc. But your preference?

The Dr1 is interesting - try a flat 180 degree rudder turn.

The Camel is very interesting. Try turning hard left, right. And try combat.

Whiteknight.zip

Edited by peter01

ok I'm off to bed now,I have to get up at 2am for work but as soon as I'm home from work I'll start testing and get back to you with some comments and feedback.

Great FM Peter01good.gif (for the D.IIIOef) Lots of great skin to do for it nowclapping.gif

BTW these are pics of a generic Flik42J D.IIIOef's.

Edited by quack74

excellent stuff Quack.Peter I just started to test the FMs,I can't really describe it but there seems to be a "different feel" between the SE-5s.I have a school function to go to with my daughter but after that the rest of my night is going to be devoted to testing them.I want to see if I can time the climes and turn rates of the Se-5 and see how the Camel and Dr1 feel compaired to the originals.

excellent stuff Quack.Peter I just started to test the FMs,I can't really describe it but there seems to be a "different feel" between the SE-5s.I have a school function to go to with my daughter but after that the rest of my night is going to be devoted to testing them.I want to see if I can time the climes and turn rates of the Se-5 and see how the Camel and Dr1 feel compaired to the originals.

No rush, whiteknight.

I'm glad you tried the Se5a first. Partly because I did some quick tweaking of the Dr1 and Camel, and they are looking pretty close to what they will end up as, especially the Camel - sorry, but please try these Camel and Dr1 FMs instead, the previous ones were a little "flighty" and maybe light.

Yes the Se5a *feels* a bit different. Perhaps more zing, not as flat, and maybe feels better in combat? There is no change in performance.

Whiteknightupdated.zip

Very nice skins quack.

Edited by peter01

Some pics of Flik 63J Albatros D.IIIOef's (stripes on tail and star on wheel hubs)

Edited by quack74