Sign in to follow this  
Guest rscsjsuso5

badge decal small help

Guest rscsjsuso5

i have 3 badge pictures in bmp/jpg format and what to make it into a tga file for decal on a skin of an aircraft and how to - need step specifics and also the badge is situated on a white background how to get rid of it so that the white doesn't show on a heavy grey skin of an aircraft.

thanks for reading and enjoy your week

also i'm using gimp and of course windows graphics program/paint, would like it if steps are for gimp.

Edited by rscsjsuso5

Looking back, I had some problems grasping things so I've added some advice given by a very helpful bloke at The Simmers Paint Shop.

I've found that when saving in .tga format, a box pops up asking about "RLE compression" and "Origin at bottom left". I make sure both of these check boxes are not checked. Perhaps that may help you out.

For me, this was the 'missing link'. I notice that on the latest versions of GIMP it only asks about RLE Compression but the answer is the same - leave the box unchecked.

Guest rscsjsuso5

thanks for help spinners, but i'm looking for specific steps as the site you have provided as too overwhelming , i'm a simple person like is a is to a then it will work just to make things simple to understand . and again thanks .

there's a decal making tutorial in the First Eagles forum, that might be of some help. Although it's geared more towards PhotoShop, the steps should be faily similiar.

Don't worry about the background, the alpha channel will hide it all (look at regular decal tgas, and you'll see what I mean). Think of the alpha as a 'hold-out matte', like those used in special effects filming (in the days before CGI and green/blue screens); if you turn off the R/G/B channels, you'll see it's actually black, while the area to be seen is white. White is transparant

We're not even gonna start discussing opacity in the alpha, it'll just confuse you at the start.

wrench

kevin stein

Guest rscsjsuso5

thanks wrench enjoy your week

thanks for help spinners, but i'm looking for specific steps as the site you have provided as too overwhelming , i'm a simple person like is a is to a then it will work just to make things simple to understand . and again thanks .

Good luck with that.