Sign in to follow this  
Tamper

Interesting Poll

A recent poll was conducted concerning user's satisfaction level ("level of excitement") with RoF.

So as not to offend sensitivities or breach any copyright rules, I've reproduced the current state of the poll in a spreadsheet, and in text below. I won't post a link, either, so as to make doubly sure I shouldn't be breaking any rules (not at all my intent here to break rules).

The poll results:

What is your excitement level?

Rating Poll description Votes %

100% Still very excited ! 12 12.8%

80% Still pretty good. 27 28.7%

60% Needs new stuff. 22 23.4%

40% Getting bored 11 11.7%

20% I play others games now. 22 23.4%

post-46026-12671013149485.jpg

Note that nearly 60% (58.5%) of those who responded actually rate the sim at 60% or less. And 25% have apparently given up entirely.

God, I do love hard data. It puts an end to all the individualized opinions in this case, and shows how the community feels overall. Where the majority is. A point I've tried to make long since: There are some fanatical fans of RoF (like anything else, of course). But those who find it lacking are obviously in the majority. Bottom line, even if only by a smallish margin: Folks aren't thrilled with RoF, at least in this poll.

Granted, if it were my poll, I might not have titled the poll as it is, or used the same distribution of ratings...but it wasn't my poll (which means, basically, "It is what it is" and "I didn't influence the poll structure"). And, in fairness, the poll isn't closed as yet.

Also, you could say that people who aren't entitled to vote have - for instance, there's no stated requirement that a respondant actually *own* the sim (even on the honor system). But you could also say there's 'sway' among those who are loyal....in the actual comments posted by voters, some admitted to bumping their vote up because they're confident it will improve. Personally, I don't give points for potential.

Two things are interesting about this poll:

One, it was conducted in about as generous an environment to RoF as you'll find. Again, I'm not saying where or posting any links, but in fact, I think it safe to say that where it is posted probably leans heavily in favor of RoF, if anything.

Another is that I've watched the poll ever since it started - and since about 60 votes, the distribution of votes hasn't changed. Basically, the last 40% of the responders only serve to make the sample size larger, thereby further confirming the results.

By all means, I encourage any/all comments here! Please keep it on topic and civil, though, so the thread doesn't get whacked - thanks.

Regards,

Looks like a bimodal distribution to me; those who really like the sim have voted as such, and those that don't have done likewise. Thus I'll forward an hypothesis, for arguments sake, and say that the hidden majority --those that fall in between-- are likely not represented. It is very common for that group not to vote.

Also, if you are not willing to provide a link to the public site hosting the poll (and why wouldn't you?), then all the figures stated could simply be your mental masturbation, and then you're simply wasting our time and forum space. Don't mistake my comment as being uncivil, but would you believe a news story that was unvetted? Too many people do...

"Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear"

The poll is in SimHQ forum.

After second thought I should had vote differently. I vote for "Getting bored" at the time. But the truth is I don't touch it for more than 2 months. For me is more "I play other games now". Since first day I bought, 6 months ago, the sim never was able to caught my interest.

That's why I looked for anther WWI sim. And I found it.

I don't have enough time with it to vote. I like it so far, a few quirky thinks but none that stand out for the little time I have with. This weekend though I intend on digging into the nuts the bolts.

I don't have enough time with it to vote. I like it so far, a few quirky thinks but none that stand out for the little time I have with. This weekend though I intend on digging into the nuts the bolts.

The issue is what will you feel in, let us say, in 3 months after buying. I'm sure that after the first week of playing you didn't have time to feel bored.

However RoF is a still rather young project. Maybe they will add more content within time.

However RoF is a still rather young project. Maybe they will add more content within time.

Only if it stays a float, or off-the-ground so to speak. Couldn't resist...

Looks like a bimodal distribution to me; those who really like the sim have voted as such, and those that don't have done likewise. Thus I'll forward an hypothesis, for arguments sake, and say that the hidden majority --those that fall in between-- are likely not represented. It is very common for that group not to vote.

Also, if you are not willing to provide a link to the public site hosting the poll (and why wouldn't you?), then all the figures stated could simply be your mental masturbation, and then you're simply wasting our time and forum space. Don't mistake my comment as being uncivil, but would you believe a news story that was unvetted? Too many people do...

"Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear"

Bandy,

As the post following yours indicates, the poll was on SimHQ.

That being said, if I may use your line, "Don't mistake my comments as being uncivil", but:

In the first paragraph you actually conveyed some level of intellect, and even attempted an explanation for the poll results (As it happens I don't agree with your hypothesis, that you say it's "very common for that group to not vote" notwithstanding).

However, you immediately and unfortunately belied that impression of intellect, by indicating in the second paragraph that you're either unwilling or unable to read: My choice to forego posting a link was fully explained in my original post:

"So as not to offend sensitivities or breach any copyright rules, I've reproduced the current state of the poll in a spreadsheet, and in text below. I won't post a link, either, so as to make doubly sure I shouldn't be breaking any rules (not at all my intent here to break rules)."

You then followed this by several disappointing remarks concerning wasting people's time and forum space. I assure you, this is not the intent. Everything I posted was well-founded, with the specific goal of initiating an academic discussion, and was genuinely altruistic.

It's honestly as if you were more concerned with some attempt to instigate or ridicule, than with actual civil discussion on topic. Benefit of doubt; let's say that's just not the sort of person you are, fair enough?

To borrow your example about an unvetted news story, I didn't choose to offer a fabricated news story just to see who would buy it without research.

But, whenever I want to confirm something, I generally take that responsibilty upon myself. In this case, it would be incredibly easy to type (for example) "RoF poll excitement" into Google, and guess what? This thread and the poll itself are the first two hits.

I had legitimate reasons for my choice to not include that in my post - and that doesn't mean the post itself is fallacious. Let the reader decide.

Also, a good number of those who (at least say they) voted indicate clearly where their vote was...so it's not quite as accomodating to the 'hidden majority' in your hypothesis. Granted there are obviously some who voted and didn't comment...but there could be a hundred reasons for that, none of which we know.

With respect to your hypothesis, here's mine: Probably best to take it as it is: an informal poll, hardly what you'd call 'scientific', but revealing nonetheless. I think it speaks for itself (and quite loudly, at that).

Now, if you please, I'd really like to see what people have to say about this - where that input is not inflammatory or in effort to ridicule. Please accept my thanks for your cooperation in advance.

Kind regards.

Edited by Tamper

Give it a break.

Why don't you look up limitations of volunteer poll results.

Edited by Bandy

Bandy, thanks for sharing an interesting perspective. Have a great weekend!

Give it a break.

Why don't you look up limitations of volunteer poll results.

@Tamper, I apologize for my earlier impatient and unfortunately trollish comment(s).

As acknowledged earlier, the poll is unscientific and the data open for debate. Unfortunately any number of viable scenarios could be dreamed up, none of them can be tested with this methodology to see where the "truth" may lie. The limitations of volunteer polls are such that anything can be read-between-the-mile-wide-lines. It just isn't worth the speculation unless you have a point to make.

The context/question of the original post (to paraphrase "RoF on retrospect" poll), given the documented limitations of these polls, must be approached in a non-quantitative way, i.e. through anecdotal first hand accounts. There are many of these threads in almost all flight sim forums. Unfortunately I'm getting tired and irritated by them, but that is no excuse for the negative tone I used.

By all means, please do have a great weekend of simming whatever you fly. :salute:

No worries, Bandy. It's apparent this remains a charged issue on 'the boards'...and I personally don't think we should avoid discussion just because something's controversial.

I do own both OFF and RoF (as well as FE), and I see each for it's strengths and weaknesses. I would have to say that, all things considered, I am less pleased with RoF overall than the others - and I think the same thing could be said about many who have tried the various sims.

The general outlook seems to be that RoF has potential - lots, I think...but I can't see myself giving points for that. I 'vote' on what I see now, and comment accordingly. To be honest, I am looking forward to see what RoF will become...but boy, am I impatient *lol* It would be interesting to see this same poll in 6 months; in a year. I am curious as to what RoF will be then. (I just wish it were that, already).

Yes, the poll was informal/unscientific. Of course, I freely acknowledge the limitations of a poll like this. I think it still tells something, particularly that it was posted where it was (a site full of fans of RoF) and that over the last 40% of votes or so the distribution didn't change.

I'm sorry if the anecdotal first hand accounts trouble you. You're not by far the only one who seems to feel that way. It's actually fascinating to me. People have opinions, and not everyone agrees no.gif I believe it's actually good for folks to be able to express their views - what would be the point of discussion boards otherwise?

And, if I may, I think it's good for the 'community' - all WWI flightsim projects can benefit, because it's the market speaking its mind if you will (and yes, there will always be conflict because not everyone wants the same thing). More important to me that folks have a voice than whatever any one voice says.

I hope you enjoyed your weekend as well, maybe got in a little stick time. Regretfully, I didn't, but I did get in a few rounds of CoH with the kids and some of thier friends (I have built quite a few computers here at home for "Visitor MP Smackdown Sleepovers" *lol*).

-Best

The general outlook seems to be that RoF has potential - lots, I think...but I can't see myself giving points for that. I 'vote' on what I see now, and comment accordingly. To be honest, I am looking forward to see what RoF will become...but boy, am I impatient *lol* It would be interesting to see this same poll in 6 months; in a year. I am curious as to what RoF will be then. (I just wish it were that, already).

As you point out, much the same could have been said about FE when it came out in Nov 2006, and OFF1 and 2... Potential. As somebody pointed out sims are now incredibly expensive to produce (thus the terrible DRM, not to defend it though...) and thus almost require them to be released before they are truly ready. Almost like buying a promise of what they might turn into.

H_ll, IMHO FE has only now matured to a great sim with Peter01's flight models, all the other 3rd party mods, skins and AC, and now Jan Tuma's terrain, 3+ years later! That is a long time to wait, but it was worth it.

Cheers!

Edited by Bandy

As you point out, much the same could have been said about FE when it came out in Nov 2006, and OFF1 and 2... Potential. As somebody pointed out sims are now incredibly expensive to produce (thus the terrible DRM, not to defend it though...) and thus almost require them to be released before they are truly ready. Almost like buying a promise of what they might turn into.

H_ll, IMHO FE has only now matured to a great sim with Peter01's flight models, all the other 3rd party mods, skins and AC, and now Jan Tuma's terrain, 3+ years later! That is a long time to wait, but it was worth it.

Cheers!

Yup, I agree on all counts. I know I was amazed at the progression of OFF, and I've followed it since the beginning.

And no one hates more that PC gaming has suffered than I do. I guess I've learned something - just now - from your perspective: PC games "ain't what they used to be"...I should've thought more about it. And although it does suck, well, maybe I should just be grateful they're still being developed *at all*. And I don't really care for the DRM, although I do work in technology - with developers - and I can see the point. (It stinks, having to actually acknowledge both sides of a point *lol*). Either way, I 'bought into' RoF, so at least maybe it'll be all it can be before long.

I've actually read some about what's been done with FE, but regretfully haven't made time to catch up. I'm pretty content right now flying OFF and bitching about RoF lol.gif

I voted in that poll at SimHQ. I voted "20%", only because I couldn't select anything lower than that.

I followed RoF from the KOTS days with more anticipation than I have ever had for a sim. Alas, it has been the biggest sim disappointment I have ever encountered since I began flying sims with FS95. I can enjoy RoF's FMs, but little else. Once in a great while--when I actually want to fire it up and the sim decides it will work--I might have some fun with less than the usually strong disappointment and lingering feeling of time-waste it provides. Sometimes. Other guys love it; more power to 'em.

I've downloaded the latest ROF patch/update but haven't messed with it too much, except to see if it installed--my computer hung, so I know it had.

Thankfully there's FE and OFF and WOV and WOP.