Sign in to follow this  

Did a search yesterday for a thread regarding unicode and picked up a bit of info but still have some questions. From the thread, my understanding is that .ini files in SF2 are in unicode or in the process of being changed to unicode during the usual patch process. At some point in the thread, someone mentioned the aircraft Lods also being in unicode. My question is: For a terrain that is being optimized for SF2 but with old building objects, should the .ini referencing the old building Lods be in Ansi or Unicode and does it matter. The reason I ask is because I have 2 versions of Desert Target Zone released and have some updates planned so will introduce the Unicode thing into the SF2 version. [ Note: Desert Target Zone SF2 has an issue with the SA-6L not showing up on RWR's because I named them as a specific object in the types.ini. Thanks to Wrench and/or Fubar for mentioning that in a thread a long time ago.] Anyway, I hope this question makes sense, thanks in advance.

Dosne't seem to really matter .... for example, AmericaNorthWest in 'one' of my SF2 installs, NOTHING has been changed from ANSI and it works just fine. In fact, the glitch on 08 on the winter tile set seems to be gone completly.

We're talking about the 'usual suspects'; factory place & it's buildings, other add-on structures. In another terrain (still building), I'm using a lot of the objects as seen in Polak's "Object Library 1", and haven't had issues with them either.

...other than screwed up shadows caused by the 2/10 patch, but ALL the objects (stock included) are equally messedup.

The only thing I think it does, is increased loading time of the mission/terrain as it has to read both types. If all in Unicode, it's supposed to be faster (slightly -also depends on the target area density; how much 'stuff' has to get loaded)

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks for the info Wrench. I think I will probably do the SF2 version in unicode just to see if I notice any changes or issues. Cheers.