Sign in to follow this  
Bossco82

Anyone interested in my custom vector rwr

Hi Guys,

I found the simple line for the rwr vector quite awkward to see. I made this one, don't know whether it historically accurate. Its similar to the one seen in the A6 in Flight of the Intruder. I've got it set up to glow when searched, flash slow when tracked and flash fast when a sam is launched. Let me know if your interested

RWRExample.jpg

Looking at it, it would appear to be a bit too wide, so wide infact, that an airborne emitter's strobe would be lost inside of the displayed strobe.

I don't mean to drag the thread off-topic, but I have a related question.

How do you "read" the RWR? I know that the center is you, and a line going out from center is the direction of the RADAR source, but what does the length mean?

I've searched this question here, but haven't found any answers. I'm just wondering if it could be in a manner similar to the ground map RADAR for tracking down targets (in this case, enemy ground RADAR stations, guns, SAM sites, etc). A couple of times I've gotten painted, turned so that the line was at 12 o clock, and fired a Shrike and it never tracked, for all I know I could have been way too far away (or on top of it and it just went dud). unsure.gif

Found this on another website:

AN/APR-25

1966 vector receiver (the small CRT showed the relative bearing to the threat as the angle from center screen, and the distance from center screen was a relative distance to the threat, made by Itek used to detect:

S-band emissions from SA-2s

early warning ground-control radars

C-band radiations from the improved SA-2 radars

X-band characteristics of airborne intercept radars

S/X/C-Band Radar Detection and Homing Set; manufactured by Itek; part of AN/ALQ-27; used in A-7E, U-8, U-21, OV-1D, B-52G, RA-5C, A-6E, F-4, F-14, F-100, F-105, C-123, C-130

FC

Found this on another website:

FC

It's simplified in TW sims. The length of the strobe determines mode (short = track, long = acquisition). A solid strobe indicates a ground-based threat, a dashed one represents an airborne intercept radar. The vector angle represents the emitter's relative position. In addition, some aircraft have annunciator lights that allow you to id the source-type: AAA, SAM, AI (airborne intercept).

Cool. Thanks guys! :)

Fubar, when you say "relative position", you mean on the proverbial clock, right? So that means that there is no way of determining distance of a radar that is painting or has locked on to you?

Edited by UnknownPilot

Yes, it's position in relation to your aircraft. Unfortunately, there's no way to determine signal strength in this series. In real life, distance (or signal strength) was ascertained via a combination of strobe brightness and audio strength. Another feature missing in this series, is the ability to identify emitter types aurally, by having a unique sound assigned to each radar type.

Edited by Fubar512

I'll have a go at making a thinner one. I made this specifically for the vietnam version of the game. I found the line awkward to see. Does anyone have anymore info on what the vietnam era rwr's looked like illuminated?

I forgot to mention. If you look at the vector rwr targa's they are three different lengths on the same size transparancy. When I made all three the same full size length. The search vector grows in size from the centre of the display in reaction to the radars range/strength. I have no idea how it does this. I'll try to get a screenshot and do a set of thinner ones.

The search vector grows in size from the centre of the display in reaction to the radars range/strength. I have no idea how it does this. I'll try to get a screenshot and do a set of thinner ones.

AFAIK, The strobes increase in length due to mode, not distance from the emitter, nor signal strength.