Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

FE2 March Update - Trouble free?

Just looking around to see if anyone found issues with FE2 and the new patch - only mod I'll be using is Jan's terrain.

Hello Helmut_AUT

I installed the March 2010 patch immediately after it was released. I am currently using Jan's terrain mod and CaptVenguer's Menu mod with no issues.

The March 2010 patch has "porked" all my 3rd-Party aircraft that I am trying to port over from FEG. What I mean is - I see no skins - all the old FE1 planes are 'white' with not skins showing. Also, all the neat work that Peter01 has done in his recently released 108 FMs pak with the new MG weapons and rockets and bombs ordnance will not work either. I see the bombs and LePrieurs in their racks but I cannot choose them with the BACKSLASH keystroke or release them with the RETURN keystoke. I ended up uninstalling all my 3rd-Party aircraft mods with an uninstall/reinstall of FE2 and reapplying the March 2010 patch to get the ordnance working again on the bundled aircraft. I still am unable to the see the ordnance selected and armed at the bottom of the HUD screen as in FEG but TK says that will be fixed in the next FE2 patch release.

OlPaint01

Thanks. I never use Third Party Aircraft and Weapons, so I ought to be fine then... and the display for armed weapons is disabled by my flight menu edit anyway.

Appreciate the answer

Helmut

Hello Helmut_AUT

I installed the March 2010 patch immediately after it was released. I am currently using Jan's terrain mod and CaptVenguer's Menu mod with no issues.

The March 2010 patch has "porked" all my 3rd-Party aircraft that I am trying to port over from FEG. What I mean is - I see no skins - all the old FE1 planes are 'white' with not skins showing. Also, all the neat work that Peter01 has done in his recently released 108 FMs pak with the new MG weapons and rockets and bombs ordnance will not work either. I see the bombs and LePrieurs in their racks but I cannot choose them with the BACKSLASH keystroke or release them with the RETURN keystoke. I ended up uninstalling all my 3rd-Party aircraft mods with an uninstall/reinstall of FE2 and reapplying the March 2010 patch to get the ordnance working again on the bundled aircraft. I still am unable to the see the ordnance selected and armed at the bottom of the HUD screen as in FEG but TK says that will be fixed in the next FE2 patch release.

OlPaint01

Holy Mo olpaint! And you couldn't get campaigns to work either?

But I installed the FE2 patch and no problems. At all.

The ordinance text is missing when selecting weapons, a bug, but it still works and always did. Addon aircraft or stock, Le Prieurs or bombs. TK has said he will fix the missing text.

With the loadout guns, that could be due to my error, not TKs, the FE2 game files I provided in the "108 FMs" wasn't complete. Sorry, still learning about FE2. Just download and install the updated file REALLY FIXED FE2 Game Files and 4 FE2 FMs 2010 .

Bit confused about the "white skins", TK's game is extremely robust to modding and mods, any error here especially is usually a user error, but you never know ... all the planes? Are they completely white or are some just partially white?

If you are sure it is all the planes, I'd suggest opening one of the planes ***.ini files and see if it is corrupted.

Edited by peter01

March2010 patch is missing the subtitles. But I patched FE2 anyway. But not SF2... really need the subtitles there.

Hello Peter01

I have successfully added LePreiur rockets to the FE2 ingame-bundled CamelF1_130 and Spad7_150 by adding your _LOADOUT.INI files to the Aircraft folders using your 'Really Fixed 108 FMs' mod files. Horrray!!!

But I am still frustrated because I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong with all the other 3rd-Party aircraft. Why can't I add other 3rd-Party aircraft is beyond me. For example, I am trying to get the CamelF1_110_Lewis into the game with no success. I don't even see the aircraft listed in the Single Mission menu. I am almost positive that I have all the correct .INI files in the proper aircraft folder yet I get no joy finding the CamelF1_110_Lewis listed. Do I need to add all the .LOD and .OUT files for each aircraft as well?

Everything works like a champ in FEG.

Oh, I figured out what was wrong not getting Campaigns to work. I discovered that I had to create my first pilot. Now the campaigns start correctly when I click on Accept and give a name to the campaign.

Man, this FE2 has a steep learning curve to climb.

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Hello Peter01

I have successfully added LePreiur rockets to the FE2 ingame-bundled CamelF1_130 and Spad7_150 by adding your _LOADOUT.INI files to the Aircraft folders using your 'Really Fixed 108 FMs' mod files. Horrray!!!

But I am still frustrated because I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong with all the other 3rd-Party aircraft. Why can't I add other 3rd-Party aircraft is beyond me. For example, I am trying to get the CamelF1_110_Lewis into the game with no success. I don't even see the aircraft listed in the Single Mission menu. I am almost positive that I have all the correct .INI files in the proper aircraft folder yet I get no joy finding the CamelF1_110_Lewis listed. Do I need to add all the .LOD and .OUT files for each aircraft as well?

Everything works like a champ in FEG.

Oh, I figured out what was wrong not getting Campaigns to work. I discovered that I had to create my first pilot. Now the campaigns start correctly when I click on Accept and give a name to the campaign.

Man, this FE2 has a steep learning curve to climb.

OlPaint01

"... I am trying to get the CamelF1_110_Lewis into the game with no success. I don't even see the aircraft listed in the Single Mission menu."

Uh oh. You have some problems then. And thanks for raising it.

Firstly, and importantly, don't try to fix anything before you understand the problem - both your FEG and FE2 games could get very stuffed up.

If you don't see loadouts (shows only NONE), your loadout.ini is corrupted. If you don't see the plane at all as selectable, your .ini file is corrupted. It could be both.

The problem from my experience is if you move the FE2 and FE1 loadout and ini (not the _data.ini which is not a problem) between the games it often is a problem. For many planes, those files will be corrupted. Oddly not all stock or all addon planes, but the Camel, yes, and many more.

So, first question, did you move files from FE2 to FE1, then to FE2 again or something like that? Via a mod enabler maybe (not sure how yours works)? Or via moving a Camel I did for either FE1 or FE2 and you installed in FE1, and then moved it acrosss to FE2?

Let me give you an example of some of the problems: If you move an FE2 Camel folder/files to FE1, you will not see any loadouts - the loadout file is corrupted (if you open the file it is obvious). If you continue moving them between the two games (because you were not aware of the corruption - the game reads these files automatically when you fire it up ... and corrupts them!), then everything will become corrupted. Basically FE2 and FE1 are fundamentally different.

So ... with your particular problem with the Camel - install the ini and loadout files directly from the "108 FMs" download, not from any folders in any of your games, and see if that fixes the problem. I have tested this and those loadout's and ini's will work in FE2 (on my machine at least) if directly put into your FE2 install.

EDIT: Just noticed you posted something similar in another thread but also had a problem with "white" planes. Is that still the case? This is also likely a corruption of the ini (where skin locations are defined), but I haven't come across this one before. If you can select the plane, the ini can read the cockpit file location therein, but if white it can't read the skin file location - sorta like a partly corrupted file!

Edited by peter01

Thanks for the advice, Peter01

To answer your questions, I have been moving aircraft only from FE1 to FE2 then testing each in FE2. I think my heavily modded FEG (actually, FE_EP1_Nov08) install is running OK. I successfully added all the aircraft into FEG you have FMs for in 'Really Fixed 108 FMs' series of postings - even the Lewis and Vickers mods. IIRC I have not tried to move any aircraft back from FE2 to FE1.

The whole flurry of FMs posted in the last few weeks is really confusing. I finally had to set up separate Download folders in an attempt to keep FEG and FE2 mods sorted out. I want to report that as of yesterday I successfully copied N28 and Nieuport17 from my FEG aircraft folder directly into FE2 MODS/Objects/Aircraft folder and with no issues with them. I plan to build the Nieuport17_Lewis and test it into FE2 today.

I just may uninstall/reinstall FE2 and reapply the March 2010 patch. I learn something new each time (this is number 3 so far) I start over. I still have my separate FEG install to fly.

I fully agree that the FE2 learning curve is quite steep...

OlPaint01

yeah, the incremental FM updates to the forum got messy - meant to make it easier for others and myself, but turned out completely different. One upside to me and maybe others however was that I started playing around with gun loadouts - I wouldn't have done that if I just did one download when I had finished the FMs without posting along the way.

So, no more "white" planes?

Another thing that may also be causing some confusion about FMs not working is that the FE2 patch replaced ini files for TKs stock planes - so for his non-flyable planes, they are non-flyable again! To fix, you need to reinstall the plane folders for those planes I did.

They are the AEGG4, DFWC5, RE8, Spad7(150), Spad7(180). And for TKs Strutters - I think I posted the Strutter stuff on the forum somewhere - but the cockpits need a fair bit of work, so no real loss. If you had a flyable Salmson from somewhere, you would not to reinstall what you had for that too.

Ok, Peter01

Success at last. I finally am getting all the aircraft with LePrieurs rockets and Lewis guns fully operational. And the skins showing...

I don't remember where I read this but it is very important to save the .INI files if edited in UNICODE text format. Apparently ANSI plain text is no longer recognized in the game. I heavily edit all my _LOADOUT.INI and _DATA.INI files. Once I started saving in Unicode most of my problems disappeared; i.e, I started seeing skins again. Horray. The Nieuport types gave me no further problem once I started saving the .INI files in Unicode.

Now for the strange behavior I discovered while working with CamelF1_l10_Lewis and SPAD7_180_Lewis aircraft files. You recall that I complained that I could never get the skins to show. I was always getting "white" aircraft. Well now, here is what I finally did to make every thing work. I made a working copy of the base aircraft file and left its name "Copy of CamelF1_110". I changed the "CamelF1_110.INI" file in the aircraft folder to "Copy of CamelF1_110" instead of "CamelF1_110_Lewis" that you might expect to do. Then I edited [AircraftData] section for all the proper filenames. The reason I did this is because the very instant I changed the folder name to include "Lewis" in the folder name, the aircraft skins disappeared and displayed as 'All White' again. Of course after any editing I did I remembered to save the file in Unicode format.

Now every thing is working as designed. How about them apples...

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

I made a working copy of the base aircraft file and left its name "Copy of CamelF1_110". I changed the "CamelF1_110.INI" file in the aircraft folder to "Copy of CamelF1_110" instead of "CamelF1_110_Lewis" that you might expect to do. Then I edited [AircraftData] section for all the proper filenames. The reason I did this is because the very instant I changed the folder name to include "Lewis" in the folder name, the aircraft skins disappeared and displayed as 'All White' again. Of course after any editing I did I remembered to save the file in Unicode format.

Now every thing is working as designed. How about them apples...

OlPaint01

LOL, that's funny. But hey, if it works ... it works. Well done.