Sign in to follow this  
don246

FE2 duel installs

Has any one got more than one install of FE2 with my FE1 I had two installs one modded and one stranded dos any one know if I can do this with FE2.

You don't need to. There's a provision in FE2's options.ini file (you'll find it in your documents/thirdwire/FE2 folder) so you can use mods folders instead of making separate installs. You can have as many different folders as you want. Just add lines to the mods sections for the different folders you want the game to use, and rem out the lines you don't want it to use. For example:

[Mods]

ModsEnabled=TRUE

Directory=C:\Documents and Settings\Heck Mitchell\My Documents\ThirdWire\FirstEagles2\mods\Russian Front

//Directory=C:\Documents and Settings\Heck Mitchell\My Documents\ThirdWire\FirstEagles2\mods\Italian Front

Editors=FirstEagles2

Create new objects, flight,menu, etc., folders within the mods folders and place what you want to change in those. The way mine is set up is this: If I rem out both mods folders, the game is the Western Front (standard install). Or I can remove the rem lines from either the Russian Front folder, or the Italian Front folder, and the game will use only the aircraft, terrains, and menu items I've chosen for that front.

Your setup may be a little different than mine, because I use XP not 7. Your folder will be a saved games folder if you use 7, I believe. The game will use whatever is in the mods folder you've specified first, then take any files it doesn't find there from outside the mods folder (cats, etc.)

When you want to change, just rem out the other lines and remove the rem lines from the folder path you want to use before you start the game. There's no way I know of to do this on the fly, so you have to do it before you start the game.

Edited by Heck

Thanks Heck for the reply, it do's seem to me a backward step for FE2 as it is not as modable as FE1 in as much one can not do another complete install of FE2 and have a different short cut on the desktop so unless I keep changing the options ini file. Looks like I will have to live with only one FE2 install.

On second thoughts is it possible to install FE2 on another drive I do have three hard dives in my pc but then there is the my documents folder whey did they change it is this progress or change for the sake of change perhaps someone can enlighten me is it better the my documents way or the original way?

Don and anyone else wanting to do multiple installs.

Go to C:/Program Files/Thirdwire/First Eagles2.

Copy FirstEagles2.exe and FirstEagles2.ini to somewhere else.

Rename them: FirstEagles2 West or whatever. Rename the .exe and the.ini the same. Put them in C:/Program Files/Thirdwire/First Eagles2 besides the original .exe and .ini. That will give you 2 .exe's and 2 .ini's in that folder.

Run the game once from that folder. The game engine will make a new Mods folder with the same name as your new .exe and .ini.

Put a new shortcut to it and you have dual installs all running off the original "Core Files".

I have 5 separate Strike Fighters2 games with 5 separate 'Mods' folders all running off of one "Core Files" install.

If you have a problem PM me here and I'll try to help. :good:

Edited by ezlead

Thanks ezlead worked a treat you made my day, a crate of beer will be in the post.

Don and anyone else wanting to do multiple installs.

Go to C:/Program Files/Thirdwire/First Eagles2.

Copy FirstEagles2.exe and FirstEagles2.ini to somewhere else.

Rename them: FirstEagles2 West or whatever. Rename the .exe and the.ini the same. Put them in C:/Program Files/Thirdwire/First Eagles2 besides the original .exe and .ini. That will give you 2 .exe's and 2 .ini's in that folder.

Run the game once from that folder. The game engine will make a new Mods folder with the same name as your new .exe and .ini.

Put a new shortcut to it and you have dual installs all running off the original "Core Files".

I have 5 separate Strike Fighters2 games with 5 separate 'Mods' folders all running off of one "Core Files" install.

If you have a problem PM me here and I'll try to help. :good:

Neat. The other way of modifying the options.ini is hardly worth it. Thanks!

Edited by peter01