Sign in to follow this  
ONETINSOLDIER

take a C-17 flight in afghnistan

I think it's because of the difference in the HUD refresh rate, and the video capture rate.

^ yeah, I think so.

It's cool to see a first person perspective of some military flying.

I think it's because of the difference in the HUD refresh rate, and the video capture rate.

I don't think so. If it were the case then the flickering (which I believe in was only noticeable once airborne, and sequential) is not related with the capture rate of the camera. Different parts are visible sequentially, whereas a camera has a regular vertical flickering, and that happens from beginning to end. I don't believe HUD display frequency changes inflight, but even if it did, the visual effect of flickering from capture rate would not be in parts but in vertical alignments. I know that because at the TV production company I work for I normally have to adjust settings when we capture something on digital display, so the flickering in that video is not due to a difference in capture rate of the camera... I'm at a loss as to what the cause is though since most of my piloting so far has been virtual...

You're assuming that a HUD works the same way as a monitor. It doesn't.

A HUD is a vector display. You will get the flickering recording it with a normal video camera.

FC

You're assuming that a HUD works the same way as a monitor. It doesn't.

A HUD is a vector display. You will get the flickering recording it with a normal video camera.

FC

All depends on the frequencies, but as I said, unless the HUD display frequency changes whilst the plane is in flight, the flickering should have appeared right at the start, not just some time later on, since camera capture frequency is a constant, not a variable. You don´t just change the capture rate in the middle of filming because that´ll throw the timecode right out of the window.

Edited by TX3RN0BILL

Well, it's certainly possible the HUD changed it's update frequency. Heck, maybe because a particular mode was engaged, the amount the HUD had to draw was increased/decreased, leading to the disparity. Or the video camera sample rate was changed...who knows.

In short though, I have not noticed a flicker in any HUD I've used...this appears to be an artifact of the recording.

FC