Sign in to follow this  
orsin

G limit and damage for aircrafts

Q: what is the relationship between the MaxG defined in an Aircraft_Data.ini and the G amount where actual structural damage occurs? Which role does "StructuralFactor=" and "Elasticity=" parameter play in the damage relationship?

A: I think the current damage does start at 1.5x maxG, the amount depending on how far over the max-G and how long. Remember in the game, each component has structural "hit-points", and over-G damages are accumulated over time. Its not all or nothing, if you go over 1.5x maxG at some point, your wings will be weaker later.

If you think the default setting is too low damage, you can also set where the damage starts for each component, I think you can add MaxG= to each wing parts.

The answer provided by TK proven to be true. You can set G limit for each component and it starts to fall when you pull hard. That only happens to player's aircraft. AI jets are not limited by anything other than the MaxG set in FlightControl section of a xx_Data.in. Meaning it will ignore the G limit you set for wings, go over to reach the global MaxG, and it will not suffer wing breakage.

Edited by orsin
  • Thanks 1

Those parameters have been available since the October 08 patch for the original Third Wire series (Column5 released am improved FM for the U2, which incorporated those parameters shortly afterwords). They are, of course, also incorporated into the second generation of TW sims.

The AI currently uses a simplified FM that ignores any and all MAX G parameters stated in a flight model. For example, I've seen TW default MiG-23s repeatedly sustain 10+ Gs.

Edited by Fubar512
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..