Sign in to follow this  
shotdown

65 Years ago

May-7-1945. German forces surrendered to the western allies. Surrender to the russians (a mere formality at that point) was signed the following day.

Edited by shotdown

Happy V-E. Wish i could congratulate a republican vet who fought in the 2nd French AD, he died not too long ago

I've been born and grown up in Rheims, where the Capitulation Room can still be visited. It was set in the SHAEF building, located there in Rheims since February 1945, and the War Room can also be visited. The SHAEF was established in a college where Eisenhower had been kind enough to let half of the buildings to the teachers and pupils (in the same conditions, the Germans would probably have requisitioned the whole lot). A sheet on a building at some distance indicates where Eisenhower has lived for several months. I've heard that Eisenhower selected this place because it was the only one with a golf ground nearby, and he couldn't start a day without practicing some holes.

post-48840-12732314557512.jpg

post-48840-12732314873391.jpg

post-48840-12732315029377.jpg

:pilotfly::salute:

The SHAEF was established in a college where Eisenhower had been kind enough to let half of the buildings to the teachers and pupils (in the same conditions, the Germans would probably have requisitioned the whole lot)

Well captain, sharing a set of buildings with a lot of friendly civilians is quite different from sharing them with a lot of hating civilians.