Sign in to follow this  
Morris

Strong wing structure of FOKKER DVIII

WOW.

After poor construction methods led to several EV wing collapses in August of 1918, image concious Anthony Fokker wanted to restore confidence in his parisol fighter. Hence the picture above - complete with a smiling Fokker in the foreground.

This idea was hilariously lampooned (in an issue of the National Lampoon) by artist Stan Mott - about fictional Stalinist era aircraft designer Igor Sokerov. :good:

sokerov3.jpg

WOW.

Would you fly that plane after the top wing visitors?:no:

Crossbones

You know as I was thinking about that picture - and that Fokker is some piece of work. Think about it this way:

- The wing supports are meant to support much more weight than the weight of the wing itself.

- And I doubt the issue was too much weight pressing DOWN.

- I'll bet the issue was strain on the supports when air resistance was pulling the wing UP - as in a dive.

- And the wing would detach from the plane.

...all this picture proves is that the wing and supports are very strong - not that the wing attachment points are at all sound. :heat:

Also given that the average man in 1917 was likely 5-8, and weighed 110, its not quite the same as putting some 2010 vintage grain fed Iowa'n's up there after a lunch at Cracker Barrell.

Secondly, (as with most promotional photos), who's to say they didn't slap on a special steel I-beam wing for the shot!? We are a very trusting sort, especially with the PT Barnum style of Anthony Fokker.

All kidding aside though, it is a pretty amazing image.......if only every fighter that rolled out of the factory was built to the same consistent standards as this one, I'm sure the confidence level of its pilots would climb.

ZZ.