Sign in to follow this  
Olham

A better way to survive dogfights ?

In a "scramble" with MFJ-1 at Coolkerke, I found a better way to survive and even bring back wingmen.

Bevor, I had always used the "Attack" command - either had I marked a single aircraft to attack, or, more

often, I had used it as a general order.

The result: everybody was spread out after short time, fighting their own fight, and most often loosing them.

Today, I only pressed the "Help" command repeatedly.

The result: the wingmen were around and with me, and they took each and every craft under fire, that got

close to me. This kept my back mostly free, and they drove off any fighter, that tried to concentrate on me.

I could meanwhile attack those craft, that were about to attack my wingmen; I damaged many of them.

This way, my wingmen and I had soon damaged so many crates, that the attackers had lost their bite;

they merely crawled around, and now we could kill them, one after the other.

This was the first time, that I brought back 4 of my 6 wingmen from a "scramble" fight - it felt great!

Sounds good Olham, but I'd suggest simply flying away if it's early war. The AI is less inclined to go for you like a nutter and you might well get something done. Late war? Just don't take off.

I believe that when you press "H" for help, only one of your flightmembers comes to help you (your wingman). Could it have been that the other members in your flight were under no orders at all? Perhaps they took some of the enemys attention from you since they were near you and in a non-attacking mode? I'd be interested in more of your results if you use this tactic exculsively.

You could be right, Winston. But it resulted in the wingmen being around and behind me

and clearing my back so well, that I could chase and fire at each craft I wanted.

Yes, I'll report further more.