Sign in to follow this  
Ticket1

Real sensation of speed in TW series of simulator

To show the game dimensions and speed are spot on, compare the game's data display with roving free camera data output.

Here is how to get debug data. Extract the Huddata.ini in Flight folder cat file. Set debug data display to TRUE. On screen data can be shown in font and size to taste. Some sizes work better at some resolutions than others.

The first lines are...

[Debug]

DisplayDebug=TRUE

TextFontName=Arial

TextSize=9

:

:

:

Next: Free cam

Hey Lexx,

Thanks for the hints. I've tried that and I can't fly because can't see clearly things ahead!:grin:

Actually that's very hard to understand. And it's very tedious to explore into depth. I'd play the game as it is, easier and saves more time.

I think it is good that flying at a certain speed we can catch and prepare instruments to perform tasks. For example, I want to strike with LGB, I need to switch and watch the heights and speed, so if the sim's speed is too fast, I can't target. I will over run the target so to speak. Unlike WWII flights, no additional instrument need to be operated so I just fly over and release the bombs. That's why in WWII or WWI fligths the sim's speed can be accepted to be faster.

Anyway....thanks for your help I think I will move on to some other things but when i get bored I will come back, hope to see more of your work later!

Are you working on some new projects lately for this games?

Because you do not have real life experience with which to judge it against.

No I don't.  Just judge form the sims and compare to others.  Wish I had real flying experience!! :-(

I have more things to do for my long term SF project, but other things get in the way for now.

One other thing mentioned by someone earlier is terrain detail. Fly over smooth sea or flat salt lake bed and you may get the feeling of slow movement. That is how it should be (I think).

The last thing is exploring terrain distances with external free camera. Here's my fast acting easily controlled setup...

[ViewClass001]

ViewClassName=FreeViewClass

ViewType=FREE_VIEW

ViewGroupID=0

DefaultView=

AllowFromDiffGroup=TRUE

SnapView=FALSE

InsideView=FALSE

FOV=90

PitchControl=CAMERA_PITCH_AXIS

YawControl=CAMERA_YAW_AXIS

RollControl=

ZoomControl=CAMERA_ZOOM_CONTROL

RememberFOV=FALSE

LimitPitch=FALSE

LimitYaw=FALSE

LimitRoll=FALSE

ZoomFOV=FALSE

StepZoom=FALSE

ZoomScale=0.001

PanScale=0.01

MinFOV=90

MaxFOV=90

OffsetDistance=0.0

The trick I use to switch from exploring whole maps to exploring inside aircraft or other models is the ZoomScale. Its not really "zoom" but you use your chosen zoom control but it controls the freecam's translation, not field of view. I make the following changes to the freecam block...

ZoomScale=0.001 gives intricate movement to explore the details of external models and weapons and lots of small stuff.

Just add a leading 1 to the value and you get...

ZoomScale=10.001 lets you translate across hundreds or thousands of kilometer terrain.

Deleting that leading one gets you back to 0.001, all in one swift keystroke.

I think the sense of speed is very good in the SF series. Pull your FOV back a bit and you clearly see a good sense of speed. It is certainly close...

A video with a mix of video from WOI-1 in P-51 add-on and real video from the right seat of a King Air 200 landing in rain and clouds...

Landing video

:victory:

Nice fade from game P-51 to real King Air views showing similar runway+terrain motion.

Pull your FOV back...

That's fluffy. He just said decrease FOV value, or in pillow talk, zoom in.

...i think