Sign in to follow this  
Javito1986

BE2c question

I've always been under the impression that if I fly bombers I can switch to the gunner seat and shoot Germans from there. But when I go to the gunner seat in a BE2 I'm still pretty much in the cockpit and can't aim the gun without, y'know, trying to dogfight with the BE2. Which is impossible! Help? I don't want to die because I can't shoot back!

Hi Javito,

There's a slight problem with the BE2c as modelled in OFF. It's not really a BE2c!

If you've read up on the BE series, you be aware that the BE2c (and d, e, etc) had a single badly mounted rear facing machine gun with a pathetic line of fire, but that there was a subsequent model called the BE12, which was a vain attempt to make it into a scout, by the removal of the observer's seat and the mounting of a forward firing machine gun for the pilot. Hence, the OFF BE2 is a curious amalgam of the two models - which is to say your observer doesn't get the gun with which, historically, the aircraft was armed.

I'm hoping that P4 will see both types more accurately modelled, but I guess we'll have to wait and see....

Good luck!

Cheers,

Si

I'd also like to see an improved BE2 and the BE12 in P4. I like to fly early war campaigns in BE2 squadrons. I had one very promising pilot but I lost him when my hard drive died. And I have fond memories of flying through the Bloody April with my BE2; every fighter jockey should give that a try, it teaches some humility. :grin:

• Like 1

Must admit I have just started a new campaign with the Sopwith Strutter B1 (No rear gunner) so thats going to be fun since I am so used to flying with a rear gunner... I have done a couple of test flights in the BE2 and its a good training airplane I think...

Must admit I have just started a new campaign with the Sopwith Strutter B1 (No rear gunner) so thats going to be fun since I am so used to flying with a rear gunner... I have done a couple of test flights in the BE2 and its a good training airplane I think...

It's perfect for sightseeing in those early war careers. Easy to fly, no bad habits. But not something you want to fly in a battle in 1917. :cool:

If you are flying in the early period, Summer 1915 against Eindeckers, it does seem to help to act aggressively even if you can't hit anything! As mentioned in MightySRC's Survival In The Air Guide, they do seem to prefer to go for the more docile wingmen. The only time my BE2 has fired at anything, so far, was a pathetic attempt to unsettle an Eindecker that had completely ignored me after I turned into their formation, but had gone after one of my wingmen.

Edited by Wayfarer

Rather! Best defense is a strong offense and all that. When in doubt, charge! Just ask the Light Brigade.

Rather! Best defense is a strong offense and all that. When in doubt, charge! Just ask the Light Brigade.

Yes, a frontal attack against overwhelming odds has always been the most ingenious stratagem of the best military minds in history. It worked particularly well in WW1 with all those trenches, machine guns and quick-firing artillery. :grin:

In my Blood April career, I often had to turn back when I encountered Albatrosses with red paint. But I wasn't retreating, really. I was only advancing in another direction. :heat:

That explains it! I was very confused as to why I couldn't switch to the rear gunner. Didn't even bother to look at the model to notice there wasn't one rofl.gif. Think I'll switch to a Strutter squadron!

That explains it! I was very confused as to why I couldn't switch to the rear gunner. Didn't even bother to look at the model to notice there wasn't one rofl.gif. Think I'll switch to a Strutter squadron!

If you require help just ask I will aid as best as I am able... I have been flying the trusty strutter everywhere... she is good at keeping me honest. Also in case you didn't know there are 2 versions a B version no rear gunner, and the other one which comes with.