Sign in to follow this  
borton

Back from the dead!

Literally, after an enforced absence.

Having recovered my health somewhat, I have started to fly OFF again. I have downloaded all of the updates and very impressive they are - congratulations to the perpertrators. I have, however, come to realise that this is a young man's sim and not for old fogies like me. Maybe with a little practice.......hmmm. Rather like trying to fly a butterfly or has BoBII (rather quiet lately!) spoilt me somewhat.:smile:

In BoB, I can use the mouse to pan but this does not seem to be possible in OFF (I thought it was once). Or is this something to do with TIR?

Edited by borton

You can use the hat switch view in two modes: scroll view and snap view.

Now, there is a command key for to toggle between the two. Put that on your joystick,

so you can use scroll (pan) view for the flying, and snap views for fighting.

If you have TrackIR you wouldn't use all this and would just look around from your cockpit.

That is (after getting used to it) the most wonderful addition to OFF!

Oh, and I don't know your "year of construction", but I'm a Vintage 54, and OFF keeps me young

(although I die quite often).

You can't stop growing older - but you can stop feeling old.

Just like this joke:

Old man: "Huh, you youngsters! How old are you, young man?"

Young man: "I am 16 years old!"

Old man: "Huh! At your age, I was alread 19!"

:grandpa:

Edited by Olham

Thank you for the pointers - I didn't realise they existed. One small point, though; I am trying to print the various threads but all I seem to get is a couple of blank pages. I've resorted to the old favourite of copying the complete thread and then pasteing it to Word but it's a bit of a pig's ear and requires a helluva lost of editing before I can really print it.

I am well into my 3-score years and twenty! :grin:

BTW I'm not receiving email notices or replies to my post and, yes, I did set it up!

I have used TIR for years and love it.

Utilizing CFS3 QC 'Free Flight' . . 'British fields England'. . I prefer a loadout of Rockets . . .clear skies are best for sightseeing. . . . flying out of 'Sutton Farms' . . .100 Feet are all you need

Fly South to the Thames . . only a few minutes .. . . Fly West along the river. . you first stream on the right offers a number of small bridges which can be destroyed nicely with rockets

If you continue along the Thames, you'll find the naval observatory, further still is Tower Bridge, Parliment and Big Ben, all of which blow up nicely.

Further still is the Power Station on the left

Well, you've lost me, Uncleal. Starting from Main Menu, please explain to me how we get to this. I can get as far as Free Flight but there don't seem to be the choices you are showing.

Thank you for the pointers - I didn't realise they existed. One small point, though; I am trying to print the various threads but all I seem to get is a couple of blank pages. I've resorted to the old favourite of copying the complete thread and then pasteing it to Word but it's a bit of a pig's ear and requires a helluva lost of editing before I can really print it.

I am well into my 3-score years and twenty! :grin:

BTW I'm not receiving email notices or replies to my post and, yes, I did set it up!

I have used TIR for years and love it.

On the email front it defaults to a delayed setting when you are not in Combatace. Normally I receive mine the next day or so...

Please to read word for word "Tips & Cheats" #49 . . . . and . . . "Pilot Training Videos" #12

Game Start > Workshop > CFS3 QC > go to field

Don't touch anything else . . . it might take a while to load.

The CFS3 QC is in Workshop on the bottom boarder, there is No check box, you clic directly on it

Go to Field . . . is in the lower right corner of the maroon QC page

As is explained in Tips & Cheats the developers purposely hid this away so that NO VISTA users could happen apon it by mistake

Pretty Well Hidden . .eh ?

Thanks, that seems to do the trick. But how do I know where #49 is in Tips & Cheats. I ended up just scrolling thru to somewhere the problem is dealt with.

Uncleal, you are a wealth of very helpful info and it is much appreciated by not only me but also, I am sure, the rest of the fraternity. It would. however, be even nicer if it could be made possible to print-out these tips.

I managed to take off from Sutton Farms in my Se5Viper, but as soon as I was in mid-air, OFF fell over with a CFS3 error - I can't remember what it said :dunno::sorry: but I do know that it kept repeating itself when I tried again. After picking some of the little hair I have left, off the floor, and as I really can't be bothered to install everything again from scratch, I eventually decided to update my graphic driver - I had received a message a little while ago that my main driver wasn't working (fatal error!). This I did and went back in. No CFS3 error now but it would let me proceed beyond the screen which has a small black and white photo of flyers sitting in dispersal(?). I couldn't get past this until eventually I noticed an almost completely obscured message telling me that my config file was out of date. I dealt with this (all my previous settings, including graphics card settings, had been lost) and now I can fly again.

I haven't yet had the nerve to try flying from Sutton Farms again.

Maybe, Sutton Farm produces those problems. Is it close to the front? Was there no writing with the photo,

saying, that you had to spend the rest of the war in a POW camp?

I have made two or three landings on our fields near the lines, when I was shot up badly, and I received such a message.

This can happen, cause the front line changes a lot throughout the war.

Next time you get CFS3 config file problems or similar, you should first try the two buttons "Reset OFF Manager" and "Reset CFS3"

in "Workshops". You will still loose all your pilots, but it's quicker than a re-install.

Edited by Olham