wondering what WIP's out there might help one complete a Berlin Airlift mod. this is being considered for Gen2 despite the current problem with props. there is C-47 stock in game now and some other birds lying around (F-80C, converted or waiting on the Gen2) and Veltro's Short Sunderland would help too. what else is out there in WIP land that would work circa 1948. (someone pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease say C-54:grin: )

Except I'm pretty sure no shooting actually occured...so I'm not sure how interesting a mod it would be.

FC

well of course in our lil world one of the Soviet Yaks would've shot down rather than collided with an airlift bird. would be a good mix of WW2 (F-47D, B-29, Tempest II) and early jet age(F-80, Meteor, Vampire) for combat. Red air is still a little sketchy though as to what they had in play. pretty sure Yak-9 variants though Yak-23 and Mig-15 prototypes might've been rushed to theater in event of a shooting match. besides if you're gonna base offa was there actual shooting, SF2E becomes very boooring:grin:

If you turn it into a shooting war, then its no longer the Berlin Airlift, its SF2E 1948.

FC

IMO it would be fun, the C-160D is a proof of this , however i think it would be necessary a better terrain detailment to do it and the most important part of the simulation would be the full tamarc 24 hours in the game and the heavy traffic, which i think it would not be easy to mod due to the current AI behavior.

Edited by Silverbolt

@ FC exactly, goes from operation vittles to operation hot chow! though thinking more a 48 campaign than a whole new install

@ silverbolt main thing i could think of for terrain is take ground objects for a WW2 terrain, and throw in alot of rubble piles and busted buildings(think the pics of the kids on the hill watchin the C-54's come in)

@ FC exactly, goes from operation vittles to operation hot chow! though thinking more a 48 campaign than a whole new install

@ silverbolt main thing i could think of for terrain is take ground objects for a WW2 terrain, and throw in alot of rubble piles and busted buildings(think the pics of the kids on the hill watchin the C-54's come in)

also, the Wannsee lake would be a nice feature to see, if some hydroplanes were present hehe.

Wannsee lake would be a nice feature to see

Short Sunderland's bringing in salt, perhaps???

wrench

kevin steing

Short Sunderland's bringing in salt, perhaps???

wrench

kevin steing

might have been. i believe they were used for heavy loads that might've tied up runways at tegel and tempehof. some converted bombers were used to haul fuel in also.

gotta find a book i had a few years back, alternate history short stories on the Cold War. first one was about "the great berlin furball"!