Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

SF2 FPS: WinXP vs Win7

Hey guys,

There is a possibility I may have a new (larger!) hard drive in my future, which means I will have to reinstall windows. The disk I have right now is XP.

I've seen, in various forums, for various reasons, people post comments about FPS improvements in Win7 vs XP. If the improvement is significant enough, it might be worth it for me to hold off on the new HD installation until I can get my hands on Win7 (hard to find for < $100).

I'd be interested to hear specifically what kind of improvements folks saw when they switched from XP to Win7. Is it only for high end systems, or across all levels of systems? Were you upgrading something else as well (new GPU, more RAM), or is it a straight apples to apples comparison with the same system running XP and then Win7? Obviously a straight comparison will result in some better data...

Thanks!

Edited by malibu43

I'd be interested to hear specifically what kind of improvements folks saw when they switched from XP to Win7. Is it only for high end systems, or across all levels of systems? Were you upgrading something else as well (new GPU, more RAM), or is it a straight apples to apples comparison with the same system running XP and then Win7? Obviously a straight comparison will result in some better data...

Thanks!

15-30% increase in frame rates between WinXP DX9 and Win 7 DX10. Loading times are 50% faster (66% faster when one adds EXP2). This is on the exact same machine. Make sure that you have at least 4 GB or RAM, as Win7 loads 1 GB worth of files into RAM on startup, in a typical installation where 4 GB is available to it.

Sitting in F-15, cockpit view, looking straight forward - 51 FPS (Win 7 32bit DX10 mode).

Same as above only with forced DX9 mode (should yield same performance as WinXP) - 23 FPS.

C2Q 9650 @ 4.4 Ghz, Geforce GTX 460 SLI, 4 gigs of RAM.

15-30% increase in frame rates between WinXP DX9 and Win 7 DX10. Loading times are 50% faster (66% faster when one adds EXP2). This is on the exact same machine. Make sure that you have at least 4 GB or RAM, as Win7 loads 1 GB worth of files into RAM on startup, in a typical installation where 4 GB is available to it.

Hmmm... I think i asked for 2GB of RAM on my xmas list, and if that's what I get, then that's what I'm going to have to stick with. I'll need to look more into Win7 and RAM requirements...

So should I not expect the same FPS increase with 2GB of RAM?

Edited by malibu43