Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Slightly OT: We've lost a true Hero today

Major Dick Winters - who's deeds were showcased in the book and HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers" has died.

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=C2

God bless you sir and all of those who served with you. You served the world not for glory nor for honors, but only because you knew it was the right thing to do.

The world needs more men like you and I am deeply saddened that it was finally your time to go. Godspeed to the peace you've earned so many times over.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

RIP. This news must be hitting the other survivors of Easy Co really hard. Winters was like their beating heart.

What a damn good life he had though. I only wish mine can be half as fulfilling as his.

Edited by Javito1986

I salute Major Winters.

Now he can forget the horrors of WWII.

:salute:

They say something is wrong when a Paratrooper isn't surrounded. I'm glad Major Winters lived a long and fulfilled life surrounded, not by his enemies, but by surviving comrades, loving friends and family.

I'm also very glad he was able to share his memories of WW2 in a manner which he was comfortable to identify with. Being invited to learn about such raw and first hand emotions through the Band of Brothers series made it a special priviledge to watch. I'm sure he brought a lot of comfort to many other veterans who spent their lives or went to their graves never knowing quite how to put their feelings and powerful emotions into words. Major Winters and the other lads of Easy Company made a very fine job of it on their behalf. I salute them all.

Rest in Peace Major Winters.

Edited by Flyby PC

"Band of Brothers" was a great production, and the character you liked immediately, was Winters.

I was sad, when he left the Easy company - the last episodes without him were not the same anymore.

If he was such a decent and reliable chap in RL, the Easy company was very lucky they had him.

He was a natural, caring leader - the one you would wish to have in a war.

Rest in peace, Major Winters - you surely have saved lives through your good care.

A full parade dress salute. Major Dick Winters, may you forever rest in the arms of the Lord with your band of brothers. The world is far better for your life and a bit lesser for your passing.

No man is an island entire of itself; every man

is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;

if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe

is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as

well as any manner of thy friends or of thine

own were; any man's death diminishes me,

because I am involved in mankind.

And therefore never send to know for whom

the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

(John Donne, 1572-1631)

My stomach turned when I read this Hellshade. We've lost a real giant and even though I never met him, I felt like I knew him. I echo the sentiments expressed - we should all lead such exemplary lives.