Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

110th Birthday of the last Doughboy

A full parade dress salute to Frank Buckles, the last US surviror of what was so poignantly called "The War To End All Wars".

All our boys went west I think two years ago now or early last year...can't remember..we had three left and they all died within a few months...

I wonder if ther are any German veterans left...such a shame they are never really considered even by their own country...

Lazare Ponticelli, the last poilu, died in March 2008, accidentally at 110 too, and had national burial. I wonder how many countries still have veterans from this holocaust? Perhaps the legendary long-lived Greeks, Bulgarians or Caucasians? Anyway, I wish some more rich years to Mr Buckles, may he let the flame of memory not extinguish yet.

All our boys went west I think two years ago now or early last year...can't remember..we had three left and they all died within a few months...

I wonder if ther are any German veterans left...such a shame they are never really considered even by their own country...

Wodin,

I assume from your comments that you are british, in which case the 3 gentlemen that you are referring to are William 'Bill; Stone who died in January 2009 aged 1007, Henry Allingham who died on the 18th July 2009 aged 113 and John Henry 'Harry' Patch who died on the 25th July 2009 aged 111.

Henry Allingham was the last Kitchener volunteer and Harry Patch was the last surviving 'Tommy' to fight in the trenches and also the last living wounded 'Tommy'.

That was a sad week as far as I was concerned.

The last Central Powers veteran was Franz Kunstler who died in 2007 or 2008 aged 107.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

The last German veteran from the Great War was Franz Künstler.

He fought in Italy with 1. Reitendes Artillerieregiment (1. Artillery Regiment on horseback?) in the k.&k. army.

After the 2. World War, Künstler lived next to Castle Haltenbergstetten, where he worked as a museum guide.

He had lived alone, and without anyhelp.

Künstler died in May 2008 in Niederstetten, Baden-Württemberg) at the age of 107, after an accident.

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article2039233/Letzter_deutscher_Veteran_des_Ersten_Weltkriegs_tot.html