Sign in to follow this  
JediMaster

Feel Like a Senile Senior

You know that problem you get with the radar basically whiting out its own display within seconds of turning it on? What's the fix again? I just spent a lot of time trying and failing to find it here...

:fool:

Edited by JediMaster

If I knew the answer, I would gladly tell you. But in all of my years playing this sim and following almost every associated forum, I don't recall ever having this problem or any posts about it. I started with a Voodoo 5500 and have been using ATi cards ever since, all of which had various driver issues over the years, just not this issue. Perhaps you are using an nVidia product? Radar screen goes white... :scratch:

The screen doesn't go white, it's the scan bar that goes back and forth that makes it light green. All the markings on the radar screen are light green while the background is dark green. The sweep is supposed to fade after it passes by, but it doesn't. Instead, after 2 scans the whole thing is bright green and useless. I've got a couple of planes I've found that do this but the last time I fixed it is when SF2 first came out I think.

I'll check that link.

Ugh, a total reinstall and repatch was the answer there? That sucks.

I've had it before, i had the wrong radar texture in the cockpit file.

Which is the one that is wrong and which is the one that it should be? Can I just blank the line?

Is it happening with all the aircraft in your SF2 install? I came across this problem when I was making some of my own radar textures. I forgot to rename the texture I had made in the avionics.ini therefore the game couldn't find it so the scan beam just filled the screen. If you can post a screen shot of whats happening i'll see if its what I experienced.

No, I only noticed it so far with a 3rd party F-4. I'll have to check other F-4s.

So the issue is a specified texture is missing and it does that? If that's the case, I can look in the file and perhaps change it to a different one.

I can't take an SS right now, but the effect is that the scan sweep appears to "paint" the scope, with each pass making it more covered until after about 5-6 sweeps it's totally bright green.

is the radar texture (called out in the avionics ini), and in the /cockpit folder a bmp or tga? There were issues with tgas being used that caused that. Switching to a bmp made it go away (if this is the same issue, that is)

or, change the pointer to a stock bmp, and see what happens (ie: F-4E_Radar.bmp)

wrench

kevin stein

IIRC, it is a .tga, but I'd have to check. Since it's an F-4, I'll try changing it to that stock one and see.

Well, I found the F-4G Adv Wild Weasel V (85) does it, but F-4G Wild Weasel 5 (78) does not.

Comparing the .ini's is taking a long time but so far the differences i've found haven't helped when i've made the 85 one look like the 78 one. Sigh.

Edited by JediMaster