Sign in to follow this  
Burning Beard

Early-Early Warning Systems

Guest British_eh

Hi there,

Very good points Uncleal and yes, as the War progressed they did get better at looking to intercept enemy aircraft. However, even with the progress of technology, it still was quite dodgy that an intercept actually happend. Even with the Brits going deep into Hunland, they were not usually met by fighters until they got back near the Front. The British and Americans were much better at scrambling aircraft to intecept than the Germans. This information is incorporated in our new SIA - RSS soon to be released. See OVER FLANDERS FIELDS SUBFORUMS -

OFF - Survival In the Air Series

Cheers,

British_eh

I thought the link would be these -

http://www.andrewgra...ocations/denge/

These were made obsolete in part by radar, but more so by the advancement in aircraft speed. Aircraft got faster and faster, and by the time they could be heard, they were very nearly visible to be seen too. The early warning wasn't all that early.

Intrigued by the one on Malta. Only one outside the UK, and as I recall, the only one built of 5 that were planned. These were begun in WW1, but Maltas wasn't built until the '30s, so for 15 years give or take, there was nothing better.

Edit - I can't find anything on line, but somewhere in my head I seem to recall there is a similar acoustic type construction in the ancient world. Somewhere in the Med perhaps? For listening out to sea? I forget, or perhaps I just don't know. Might just be my imagination. Don't see any references to ancient devices. Hmmmm.... Need to lie down in a darkened room to see if I can remember....

Edited by Flyby PC