Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

HPWDMv2.5 problems?

Recently had a OFF crash and I posted my OFFlog.txt.

One of the devs felt it may be a hardware problem but in checking everything that does not seem to be the case.

When OFF crashed combat was just starting and it seemed that the second I was hit (based on bullet impact sounds) OFF crashed and dropped to the Briefing Screen. All temperatures, all other programs (much more graphic intensive then OFF based on graphic card fan speed) all run fine for long periods so I don't think its a hardware issue.

The only major change to OFF settings lately has been Hellshades "cloud popping" tweak (Z-bias to 13/Clouds z-bias to 0) and, while it was real cloudy and stormy, I was flying for a long while in it with no problems.

The (apparent - not 100%) fact that when I was hit I crashed makes me think it could be the latest damage mod...maybe.

Has anyone had a problem with it? Since I have never read of a problem I will guess not?

Did you ever consider that OFF with the Modified Damage Modelling was beyond the capabilities of your 7950GTX ?

Granted this is above my pay grade. But I'd try rolling back my detail sliders 1 notch across the board.

Then bringing them back up one by one, watching your FPS as you go

I can't imagine. I run a lot of more graphics intensive programs then OFF and in OFF my framerates are high and steady so I don't think so.

Is there some kind of visual component to HPWDMv2.5 that is graphically taxing?

I believe to have noticed, that my crashes happen, when the action gets tight.

There are several planes to perform, plus - and here I believe to have noticed one reason for crashing - the sounds to be made.

Could that be too much for the memory - action plus sound?

After a total re-install, I have not yet re-installed HPW's DM yet, and I still got crashes.

Edited by Olham

Just a guess, but I don't think your problem has anything to do with an overtaxed graphics card at all, strictly based on some info you posted earlier...

"--Campaign: Returning from CFS3 and Setting Up

!!Mission Replay encountered an error decoding: 2011/03/02 21:25:37 00000954 ;Periodic;1368.1250;0x04011018;Alb.D.III (160);N50*20'39.7841;E2*57'38.9380;1468;1416;2.2;-33.7;29.9;45.1;994;0;60.7;0;0

!!Mission Replay encountered an error decoding: 2011/03/02 21:25:37 00000954 ;Periodic;1368.1250;0x04011018;Alb.D.III (160);N50*20'39.7841;E2*57'38.9380;1468;1416;2.2;-33.7;29.9;45.1;994;0;60.7;0;0

I'm thinking it may be a problem with the way the damage mod interacts with that specific aircraft (Alb.D.III) under a specific set of conditions? Perhaps try going back to the original damage model files and see if the problem persists?

Hope you get it sorted soon...

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

I'm thinking it may be a problem with the way the damage mod interacts with that specific aircraft (Alb.D.III) under a specific set of conditions? Perhaps try going back to the original damage model files and see if the problem persists?

That was my thought also.

I really doubt that my DM has anything to do with your CTD, Duke. There are no graphic changes in the DM, just some revised numbers for hit points and hit probabilities. Send me a copy of your Alb_DIII_QC1.xdp file and I will take a look at it, though.

I really doubt that my DM has anything to do with your CTD, Duke. There are no graphic changes in the DM, just some revised numbers for hit points and hit probabilities. Send me a copy of your Alb_DIII_QC1.xdp file and I will take a look at it, though.

HPW I am just trying to find an answer and I don't think the crash is graphics related either.

Anyway here is the .xdp file. Thanks for checking.

Oops, no .xdp files allowed/had to change it to a .txt file

Alb_DIII_QC1.txt

CTD is normally a hardware problem

That's a pretty bold statement, and from my experience, is quite simply untrue. A crash to desktop is usually the result of a buggy piece of software, or a bad interaction between more than one piece of software on the machine in question. Often, I find it can be traced to drivers not playing nicely with a specific piece of software. That's not to say we can rule hardware out as a possible cause. If, for instance, the subject is experiencing CTD's with a number of different apps (graphically demanding or not) then, and almost only then, do I start looking at hardware as the possible culprit. More often than not, a CTD will affect only a single program and is rarely related to some form of faulty hardware or hardware conflict. First thing I do invariably, is check to see if the program in question has any detail sliders that if moved to the left, will somehow magically solve all problems on the user's PC completely.

:grin:

Cheers,

Parky