Are the NF4+ based on the stock SF2E campaigns or the old NF4 for SF1 ones?

Despite 100+ air units, all I get in my current 1968 playthrough is 30+ NATO units, but only 10,15 WP units with all but Yak-28s and SU-15s.

Also, the skies during missions are way too quiet. In SF2 stock, I get whole packages during strike missions and a few other flights across the map, while in NF4+, I'm mostly on my own.

I've tried to start the same campaign over with another air unit (aircraft not listed) and thus made SF2 crash. :/

So I think some major bug fixing is in order.

Has anyone tried a "super campaign" yet?

By that I mean a campaign that's not finished until one side has definately won by conquering their assigned targets.

I was thinking about turning the three campaigns into a single one, with different "technology levels" (via "UpgradeType") and entry dates for squadrons, so that F-15 nuts can still enter in 1970something while hardcore players start in 1962 and win and screw up until the campaign finally times out in 1991 or so.

It would also finally put the unit upgrade system to good use that has been kind of neglected (no ground force upgrades?).

Doable or are there hardcoded, invisible, limits somewhere?

Are the NF4+ based on the stock SF2E campaigns or the old NF4 for SF1 ones?

Despite 100+ air units, all I get in my current 1968 playthrough is 30+ NATO units, but only 10,15 WP units with all but Yak-28s and SU-15s.

Also, the skies during missions are way too quiet. In SF2 stock, I get whole packages during strike missions and a few other flights across the map, while in NF4+, I'm mostly on my own.

I've tried to start the same campaign over with another air unit (aircraft not listed) and thus made SF2 crash. :/

So I think some major bug fixing is in order.

Has anyone tried a "super campaign" yet?

By that I mean a campaign that's not finished until one side has definately won by conquering their assigned targets.

I was thinking about turning the three campaigns into a single one, with different "technology levels" (via "UpgradeType") and entry dates for squadrons, so that F-15 nuts can still enter in 1970something while hardcore players start in 1962 and win and screw up until the campaign finally times out in 1991 or so.

It would also finally put the unit upgrade system to good use that has been kind of neglected (no ground force upgrades?).

Doable or are there hardcoded, invisible, limits somewhere?

The NF4+ campaigns are based on the SF2E ones. What patch level are you running at? Do you have the correct NF4+ updates installed (they're in the download section, this one is for the jan '11 patch ---> http://combatace.com/files/file/11795-nato-fighters-iv-post-dec2009-update-pack-4/ )

What air unit are you flying when you're not getting enough air activity around you? Also, what unit resulted in the campaign crash? Do you have issues in the other campaigns?

Sounds like it could be a unit numbering issue, but no one else has reported this problem...

And as for your question about the super campaign, it could be done. But, you would have to do a lot of tweaking to the supply levels and mission rates to set up a campaign that would last 30 years. I would suggest setting supply levels so that offensives happen rarely and setting mission rates very high (they are set at 180 in the SF2V Rolling Thunder campaign) so that the player isn't flying very often.

Not sure about upgrading ground units, though. I can't remember if I've ever seen that or not.

What patch level are you running at? Do you have the correct NF4+ updates installed (they're in the download section, this one is for the jan '11 patch ---> http://combatace.com/files/file/11795-nato-fighters-iv-post-dec2009-update-pack-4/ )

Yes, yes and yes.

What air unit are you flying when you're not getting enough air activity around you?

I think it was the 55th TFS in the '68 campaign.

Also, what unit resulted in the campaign crash?

613th TFS.

Do you have issues in the other campaigns?

Well, a USAF unit is flying a RDAF mod F-100D in the '62 campaign (first unit that is selectable).

Sounds like it could be a unit numbering issue, but no one else has reported this problem...

Hm. Or a discrepancy between the .ini and _Data.ini.

Will have to investigate.

Not sure about upgrading ground units, though. I can't remember if I've ever seen that or not.

Well, they've got a line for upgrades in their data.ini entry, so it should theoretically be possible.

Edited by Heretic

Sorry for the double post, but I think it's the F-100D_64 that causes the crash upon campaign selection.

The "_RDAF" variation works just fine.

- Edit: This is weird. Taking the missing .inis from the RDAF version and renaming them, etc...doesn't help...

- Edit²: Selecting an F-4C unit also crashes SFP2.

Edited by Heretic

Heretic:

I just tried the '62 and '68 with the units you mention, and I simply cannot reproduce the behavior you're describing. The 613th TFS F-100D unit worked just fine -- no crashes. I also checked the .INIs, and there doen't appear to be any problem with the entries for that unit.

I also tried the first selectable units in the '62 campaign for the USAF F-100A, the F-100C, and the F-100D. In each case I was assigned the correct USAF aircraft, not an RDAF version.

Also, when playing a few campaign missions I notice plenty of friendly air units in the skies from various nationalities performing a variety of air-to-air and air-to-ground missions.

Eric Howes

I don't get it...I've installed NF4+ in the right sequence in a SFP2 version patched to the current standard with all the updates. I've even left out the custom terrain this time!

Heretic:

I would suggest continuing to fly various campaigns and aircraft. If you encounter other anomalies or outright crashes, post the details here so that we can attempt to reproduce them. Maybe some detail will emerge that points to the culprit.

Eric Howes

Okay, I've done another, complete NF4+ reinstall...and I still just can't select certain squadrons.

It might be SF2E being stupid...

SF2 (another partition):

SFP2 installation folder with ALL NF4+ files in a separate folder ("NF4+") and a custom (renamed) .exe.

"Saved games" folder (Windows partition):

Folder created for the renamed .exe with options.ini pointing to NF4+ folder in my installation.

Reason for this structure: Windows and Flight Sim X sharing a SSD. If you know the general size of SSDs, you know what that space is *very* limited on those. Hence SF2 has to be on a conventional HDD.

- Edit²:

Okay, SF2 has DEFINATELY problems reading out some aircraft folders. Again just four to five Flagon and Brewer units on the map and the sim still crashes upon selecting F-100D_64 squads.

Edited by Heretic

A missing "\" in the path to my mod folder was the culprit for all the hassle...a freaking missing "\"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: :suicide2:

I feel so dumb... :laugh:

Thanks for the help, guys!

Edited by Heretic

Okay, triple post now, but thanks again for the help.

Just wanted to confirm that everything is in order now. Did a campaign mission and got swarmed by Fishbeds, Farmers, and Guidelines and that's how it's supposed to be.

Bottom line of the story: The path to your mod forder in the options.ini, always has to end with a back slash ("\") if things are to work correctly!

P.S: As an experiment, I've set the "UpgradeType" for every single unit in the campaign file to "any". Let's see what surprises this will deliver...

Edited by Heretic

Glad to see it got worked out. Let us know how the infinite campaign plays out!