I have been trying to make the old Korean War campaign playable with the Oct08 patch. So far I think its going pretty well but I have encounter a problem with the F-80C FM. I believe the problem is the FM being outtdated.

The thing is the plane bleeds airspeed at an alarming rating during turns and after it goes below 250knts its almost impossible to keep turning tight, otherwise you might lose another 100knts on a second and stall. It also makes almost impossible to do an Immelman unless you are no less than 400knts, and after you finish it you´ll be at stall speed. This innability makes the plane tottaly useless on a dogfight even against props like the Yak9, you cannot turn with them and you cannot take them to the vertical, the only option being fleeing.

I barely understand anything about the FM on the _DATA.ini file so I´m askin if any of you could give me a tip or two on how to make it more swift on turns.

Thanks.

Edited by Jaman

The FMs have had pretty substantial revisions since that KAW mod was put out. Most straight wing aircraft will no longer fly correctly, if at all.

FMs are frequently an art and science. I would recommend starting with an aircraft that works in Oct 08 level and is similar to the F-80 and use those values first. If you have SF2I:EXP1, you might be able to use the Meteor F8s FM as a baseline.

FC

The FMs have had pretty substantial revisions since that KAW mod was put out. Most straight wing aircraft will no longer fly correctly, if at all.

FMs are frequently an art and science. I would recommend starting with an aircraft that works in Oct 08 level and is similar to the F-80 and use those values first. If you have SF2I:EXP1, you might be able to use the Meteor F8s FM as a baseline.

FC

I have started to compare it to other similar airplanes that seem to perform correctly (more or less, I guess) like the F-84G and the F9F, but its hard when you barely understand what each parameter means.

For instance, the F-84G had on the [Fuselage] section no MassFraction while the F-80C had a MassFraction of 0.380. What does that mean?

Also what does these parameters mean? (Left its the F-80C, right the F-84G)

AlphaStall=18.58 | 26.58

AlphaMax=20.53 | 34.53

AlphaDepart=22.40 | 41.40

EDIT: They are from the [LeftWing] section.

Edited by Jaman

I

For instance, the F-84G had on the [Fuselage] section no MassFraction while the F-80C had a MassFraction of 0.380. What does that mean?

Also what does these parameters mean? (Left its the F-80C, right the F-84G)

AlphaStall=18.58 | 26.58

AlphaMax=20.53 | 34.53

AlphaDepart=22.40 | 41.40

Mass fraction, is as the term implies, the percentage of the aircraft's (empty) mass that the component in question contributes to. In this case, 38%.

Alpha stall is the alpha angle in degrees, at which the aircraft model begins to experience stall buffet. 18.58 degrees is a bit high for a straight winged aircraft.

Alpha Max is the maximum angle of attack achievable before drag exceeds lift for that surface. Flight manuals for the real aircraft will warn you to never exceed this value under any circumstances. Again, 34 degrees is way high for a straight wing.

Alpha Depart is the angle of attack at which the surface loses lift, and hence causes the model to depart from controlled flight.

Mass fraction, is as the term implies, the percentage of the aircraft's (empty) mass that the component in question contributes to. In this case, 38%.

Alpha stall is the alpha angle in degrees, at which the aircraft model begins to experience stall buffet. 18.58 degrees is a bit high for a straight winged aircraft.

Alpha Max is the maximum angle of attack achievable before drag exceeds lift for that surface. Flight manuals for the real aircraft will warn you to never exceed this value under any circumstances. Again, 34 degrees is way high for a straight wing.

Alpha Depart is the angle of attack at which the surface loses lift, and hence causes the model to depart from controlled flight.

Thank you very much.

Muchas gracias.

Vielen dank.

:clapping: