Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Wings of Prey DRM - REMOVED by Devs -

It took a year, but the Devs have decided to remove the DRM on-line requirement for Wings of Prey. That gives me high hopes that there will be no such requirement for the sequel they are working on. Still hoping it's the pacific. I'd love to fly the P38 Lightningbolt and the Corsair.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3237929/gonew/1/DRM_removed_from_WOP.html#UNREAD

Hellshade

• Like 1

Oh yeah, a Pacific theater! I'd love to fly there with a good sim.

I wonder, which will be better: "Wings of Prey" or "Cliffs of Dover"?

I can't fathom why there aren't more Pacific flight sims. I used to have such a blast flying the Zero in CFS2. Too bad about that paper armor and death trap of a fuel tank but... well, it doesn't matter if you're nimble enough to avoid those .50cals ;-).

I remember when I read Saburo Sakai's memoir "Samurai!" when I was 14. Ten years now! To this day I'm amazed at how skilled he and some of those pilots he flew with were. Nishizawa was like a damn poet of the air, the precision of his flying was unbelievable, like that Zero was just an extension of his body. And Sakai nursing his plane hundreds upon hundreds of miles back to Rabaul with a .50 in his eye? Then, with just one-eye in 1944 he manages to single handedly outfly and evade 15+ Hellcats over Iwo Jima without a scratch? Oh man heat.gif

CoD is supposed to have a massive campaign and huge (128 player!) on-line battles. Wings of Prey can't match that. On the other hand, WoP is just a tour de force graphically that does an outstanding job of making you feel like you are in the cockpit fighting for your life. The AI is very good too, IMHO. CoD is supposed to be Direct X 10 & 11 enhanced, however from the trailer they released, I personally can't see it. Maybe it will look better than what they showed. CoD also took the step of individually modeling nearly every part of a plane so that it can be damaged, which is quite impressive. If the quality of the graphics on a Direct X 11 capable machine is much better than what the trailer shows, I may have to pick it up. Otherwise, I'm still perfectly happy with WoP and very much looking forward to their WoP II which will hopefuly be in the Pacific.

Cliffs of Dover Trailer (1:30) 1080HD

Wings of Prey Trailer (2:01) 1080HD

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-trailer-wings-of/60350

Thanks for the links, Hellshade. Hard to say, what's better.

CoD's FM behaviour seems to look more realistic to me; WoP looks a bit better maybe.

I'll wait 'till I have my new rig (end of April), and then I'll see.

Pacific would be great!

Olham,

WoP used to have just three FM settings - Arcade, Realistic and Simulator. I think it was patch 1.0.3.2 that allowed you customize with great detail how you wanted things to be. Stalls, Torque, G effects, flutter effects, mortal pilots, engine controls, manual trim, real gunnery, real damage effetcs, etc. There are plent of options to make it as realistic or arcadish as you would like. The biggest thing I noticed about flying Wings of Prey was after I had finally mastered closing in on enemy aircraft and then keeping the proper gunnery distance while at 300 to 350 Mph, it made shooting aircraft down in Over Flanders Fields much easier. It feels like I have so much more time to line things up now!

The action can get very intense in the WWII flight sims. Split second reaction time means the difference between victory and death. Check out one of my missions and see how intense it can get.

6 v 1 Duel over Dover (4:48) 1080HD

Hellshade

WoP is really looking good (a bit greenish thoug?).

You can be glad you didn't have to suffer through the G-effects on your hell trip.

There is a greenish tinge to the British countryside maps. No way to change it either, that I know of. Here's campaign video of some work I did in Sicily.

Sicily Campaign Fihter Sweep (3:36) 1080HD

Hellshade

Dear Olham,

I think which one is not coming out for console genre (PS, XBOX etc.) will be better.

Here is a new video, uploaded by Oleg Maddox

For me is important: Painfree installation progress and the game/sim must be playable without internet connection.

Thats why I gave the Rise of Flight DVD to my children and they played frisbee :grin:

I am not sure but I think Wings of Prey has only a few activation codes. Format your PC a few times or change your CPU the game is not usable anymore.

I think the same thing is coming with "Cliffs over Dover" = Ubisoft.

They sure look great - both of them.

Cliffs of Dover sure looks pretty, no doubt. I wonder about the scale and atmosphere though? It'd be pretty tough to beat Rowan's BoB or the A2A sequel for me. It's those epic, massive dogfights involving huge numbers of aircraft that do it for me. I haven't played in over a year now but I still have nightmares about breaking through the clouds and seeing a formation of 1,000 German planes ahead, like a swarm of steel locusts.

Cliffs of Dover sure looks pretty, no doubt. I wonder about the scale and atmosphere though? It'd be pretty tough to beat Rowan's BoB or the A2A sequel for me. It's those epic, massive dogfights involving huge numbers of aircraft that do it for me. I haven't played in over a year now but I still have nightmares about breaking through the clouds and seeing a formation of 1,000 German planes ahead, like a swarm of steel locusts.

Can't say for sure but if they are supporting 128 plane player vs player battles it ought to be pretty good. The planes, cockpit and damage modeling all look excellent in CoD but from what I've seen the terrain looks a little flat and underdeveloped to me. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. Reagrdless, it will sell well just because it's a descendant of IL-2: Sturmovik.

Hellshade

They sure look great - both of them.

The man makes sense.

People always argue about which sim is better, and taken to its logical conclusion (finding the better of everything) this leads to which is best; i.e., one thing. There can only be one best, that's what best is. I don't want to limit myself to one. Besides, there is no single sim that does everything "right"; thus, I like aspects of various sims and fly many depending on my mood (when I have any time to fly in the first place).

Re: WoP, I've formatted my computer three times (thanks to *$#ing trojans) since I've had it and no problems. It has some bloody annoying features (timed missions, required waypoints, green filter, etc.) but IMO also has some outstanding "immersion" during combat. Flying an IL2 on the hardest settings over burning Stalingrad with 109s roaring around, in and out of cloud shadows, over that gorgeously done scenery, at 60 fps, is both a joy and an asskicker. I eagerly await and will purchase future sims from Gaijin, along with CoD and OFF P4.

Too many quality sims being released these days. How am I supposed to be able to play them all? WW1 is my main interest, but I also enjoy WW2 sims a lot.

My current rig would die trying to run any of these I'm afraid. But I agree they look great. My heart is definitely in WW1 sims, but WW2 is definitely up there as well, right up through Korea. MiG Alley, love dogfighting in those Sabres. Once missiles are invented though my interest takes a nose dive.

Really though, I want to see more damn Pacific theater games. My favorite WW2 plane is the Zero (Spitfire close second) and I never get to fly it.

I don't even have enough time for all the sims and games I have now...but I'm sure as hell going to be clearing my schedule for at least two in particular when they come out. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and OFF: Phase 4. Those are my must have, can't live withouts.

Other than that, I bounce around between OFF:BH&H, RoF, WoP, Oblivion and Rift. "The Best" is really all about what I'm looking for at the moment. I might get Cliffs of Dover for no other reason to see the Direct X 11 support. WoP II is likely going to be in the Pacific theater so, given how few WWII Pacific Theater flight sims are out there now, it'll simply have to be a must buy for me...especially because that flight sim engine just does such an outstanding job of really making me feel like I'm in the cockpit.

Hellshade

After seeing this thread I went on line and found a demo for WoP. It's a big'un 1.4 Gig but worth the download if you want a look see. It is a little arcadish, but then it is a demo and they want to hook you in. With it you get to fly either a Spit over Dover (I think) or La7 on the Eastern front. In the spit you run into lots of HE111 and some ME109's, probably some Stukas and ME110's in there somewhere but I only flew it a couple of time and was having fun shooting down bombers. The La7 mission is a ground attack with lots of flak and enemy aircraft, I saw 109's of different varieties and some 162's which are just scary. The graphics are great and everything ran smoothly only slowing the machine down to about 34 fps with lots and lots of stuff going on. You cannot use the highest graphic setting in the demo, but what you get is great. If you check on line you can get a description of all the planes that are available and the different settings. By the way, the demo is TIR friendly. I think I may have to get this one.

Beard

Hmm... it hasn't occurred to me that there might be a WoP demo I could try out and see how it runs on my rig. I suppose I'll download it myself and give it a test. This computer is capable of some remarkable feats sometimes, I was sure it wouldn't run Dragon Age 2 but when I tried the demo last week it ran like a charm.

I'm still following through with my commitment not to buy anything new until I clear my own gaming schedule... unless OFF Phase 4 is released! Now if you'll excuse me, I suddenly have an urge to take a Fokker Triplane out for a spin.

The question is...will Cliffs over Dover be better than Modded IL2 1946?

Time will tell I 'spose...I will certainly be getting it, after watching those videos

I downloaded WoP demo. Ran fine and was fun! I couldn't find my joystick though so I had to fly around with the mouse. Inadvertently sawed the wing off a Heinkel with my own wing (love the damage model), but had a great time. I hope Cliffs of Dover comes out with a demo too so I can toy with it and make sure it runs on my machine.

I just downloaded the demo yesterday and can't get Track IR to work in it. Joystick (Sidewinder FF2) shows up in the menu but doesn't seem to work properly, either. Other than that it seems pretty good. May try the game.

Odd, my Track IR worked like a champ, didn't even ask if I had one. I did have to remember to turn it on though, grin.gif. On the joystick, you have to click on the other devices and find it there. I don't think the demo gives you benefit of all the goodies working like the game would. For instance it recognized my rudder pedals but still wants to use the twist stick, and you cannot turn off the twist stick.

Beard

I created a Tactics video for Wings of Prey awhile back. Some of the fighters can be pretty nasty with their .20mm cannons and .50 cal MGs, so it's easy to die in a split second up there. Some of these tips might help you guys trying it out for the first time to survive it better.

Wings of Prey Tactics (5:02) 1080HD Fully Voiced

Hellshade

No luck. I had selected my stick from their list the first time, too, Beard.Not giving me the 'feel' off force feedback, just stock retun to center. And Track IR is not working at all. Could it be that WoP just doesn't like my old TIR3? It workd fine for OFF and there's no way I'd shell out for a newer version just to play WoP.