Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Damn - now I must fly it, I suppose

My Albatros pilot, Lt. von Keltsch, had been wounded in the leg and has been reconvalescent for three weeks.

Now he just made to more sorties with the Albatros D.Va, only to read on his return: the new craft has arrived.

We are now equipped with the Fokker D.VII.

I know I would have been glad in RL, to receive this great fighter; but for a lover of the Albatros' sleek design,

the D.VII is quite a big change in style. This will be the first time in OFF Campaign, that I will fly this fighter.

Don't even have an own skin for it yet.

My Albatros pilot, Lt. von Keltsch, had been wounded in the leg and has been reconvalescent for three weeks.

Now he just made to more sorties with the Albatros D.Va, only to read on his return: the new craft has arrived.

We are now equipped with the Fokker D.VII.

I know I would have been glad in RL, to receive this great fighter; but for a lover of the Albatros' sleek design,

the D.VII is quite a big change in style. This will be the first time in OFF Campaign, that I will fly this fighter.

Don't even have an own skin for it yet.

A victim of your own success sir.

Hellshade

Yeah - well, better than to die early... :blink:

Better watch out Olham. You might like the DVII.

Naaahh...... just can't imagine you in anything but your trusty Albatros. Although you could use your new craft as an element of surprise.

Who is that exceptional pilot in that new DVII ?

Well, I know it's a great fighter. I may like it's abilities. I may be able to shredder more enemy craft.

But all the time, I will know I'm sitting in this ugly soap box.

Ah, what the heck - für Kaiser und Vaterland!

:grin:

Well, I know it's a great fighter. I may like it's abilities. I may be able to shredder more enemy craft.

But all the time, I will know I'm sitting in this ugly soap box.

If you're flying the D.VII, then things are Very Bad for Germany. Good as that bird is, you'll be wishing she was a lot better. She can do some things better, at certain speeds, than the enemy fighters, but all enemy fighters can do at least 1 thing better or at least as well as the D.VII. The D.VII is easy to fly, but is in a tough environement, so averages out to being quite challenging.

Ah, what the heck - für Kaiser und Vaterland! :grin:

Heilige Flamme, glüh',

Glüh' und erlösche nie

Fürs Vaterland!

Wir alle stehen dann

Mutig für einen Mann,

Kämpfen und bluten gern

Für Thron und Reich!

She can do some things better, at certain speeds, than the enemy fighters, but all enemy fighters can do at least 1 thing better or at least as well as the D.VII.

Good enough for me. The Albatros D.Va could hardly do anything better than its opponents.

Still I shot some down.

The D.VII is easy to fly, but is in a tough environement, so averages out to being quite challenging.

I know my weak spot is, that I can't stay away from the hot stew. So I'll never last for a whole year.

But with this crate, I should be able to take some more down before my end.

Damn, yeah, that poem is pretty old fashioned German - or Japanese would also fit.

My Fokker D.VII careers have been short affairs. I usually fly in Jasta 10 or Jasta 5, and they see plenty of action during the final months of the war. Especially in Jasta 5 it almost feels like you can't get your Fokker off the ground without crashing into Entente scouts. I admit I've been flying the Fokker far too aggressively. But if one of my serious German pilots (who all start in 1916 flying two-seaters) ever lives long enough to get the Fokker, I'll be more careful. Still it won't be easy, even if one tries to maintain energy and altitude and avoid low altitude furballs against hordes of Entente scouts.

As a fighter, the D.VII of course does everything better than the Albatros. Having stronger wings is alone a great improvement, not to mention everything else that's better.

Edit: And if you survive long enough to get to fly the improved D.VIIF with its powerful BMW high-altitude engine, air combat becomes even more enjoyable. No Entente fighter will be able to outclimb you above 1000 metres, not even the SPAD XIII.

Edited by Hasse Wind

Hmmm - okay, I'll try to be careful enough to get to the D.VII F. Never flown it so far; not even QC.

You did read the "Survival in the Air" article on the D.VII, right?

Yes, I did, Bullethead.

It's only, that my brain is like Swiss cheese, and the print-out is always slipping off my knees in tight turns! ... :grin:

It's only natural, Olham. Your pilot has graduated, his lady now is less superficially attractive perhaps (as is he), but far more forgiving... and that's what you need when times are tough.

Read that D.VII guide through and through... it's a good 'un, especially the advice about the big furballs.

Edited by Dej