Sign in to follow this  
Shiloh

New to these forums and flight sims

I have to say that the CFS3-OFF control and keyboard mapping configurator in 'controls' , in the right side drop down menu is one of the easiest and most intuitive of any sim I've had the pleasure of using. Open the menu, select controls and you'll see a grey and white pop-up window with the configuration selections Your default joystick will be named 'mine' but you can add as many as you like. Plus you get the ability to narrow down the search of what category the controls are that you want to configure, so you don't have to spend several minutes scrolling through 'all commands'.

It's a piece of cake really, just click on the command you wish to change to highlight it, then select the button 'delete assignment' and click it, then select 'add assignment', click it, and then press either the joystick button, or the keyboard key you wish to use. It will occasionally ask if you wish to change what is an already assigned key or button, so make your choice with some forethought.

Edited by Lewie

Just one thing worth adding, the Joystick paperwork mentions an 8 position Hat Switch, accessable with your thumb of your joystick hand ( normally used for looking around ) But in order to have use of it, you must install the Joystick program. Without the program you'll only get one use POV-1 which you assign to the Key Command you chose for Virtual Cockpit. Virtual Cockpit is where your Trackir or Free Trac works from

At the same time you'll need an external view of your aircraft. I recommend Float View = Shift+F6. . . When you actually have the Joystick . . .it'll become clearer drinks.gif

I can see how I'm going to have to get this hooked up and mess around with it before I understand.

I have to say that the CFS3-OFF control and keyboard mapping configurator in 'controls' , in the right side drop down menu is one of the easiest and most intuitive of any sim I've had the pleasure of using. Open the menu, select controls and you'll see a grey and white pop-up window with the configuration selections Your default joystick will be named 'mine' but you can add as many as you like. Plus you get the ability to narrow down the search of what category the controls are that you want to configure, so you don't have to spend several minutes scrolling through 'all commands'.

It's a piece of cake really, just click on the command you wish to change to highlight it, then select the button 'delete assignment' and click it, then select 'add assignment', click it, and then press either the joystick button, or the keyboard key you wish to use. It will occasionally ask if you wish to change what is an already assigned key or button, so make your choice with some forethought.

I may try and get 6 of the key commands that you use a lot and get them on the left side of the JS so I can get to them quick with my left hand while steering with my right - at least the combat critical ones. It would be great if they made a special flight sim keyboard with really big buttons that could be programmed with lets say the dozen or so most important command keys - almost like being in a cockpit. The Total War series had a pretty intuitive key command setup as well - seems similar.

Edited by Shiloh

Thanks for the welcome guys. I believe my rig will suffice but maybe you guys can double-check my specs:

COMPUTER

- MSI M/B K9A2CF-F AMD 790X

- AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core 2.2 GHz

- 4GB RAM

- Seagate Barracuda 250GB Sata HD (7200 rpm)

- DVDRW/CDRW drive

- Corsair 650TX 650W ATX12V

- ATI MSI Radeon 5770 HD video card

- Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick

- Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

- Dell 22" monitor (max res 1680 x 1050)

I wouldn't use THAT quad as a yardstick, as I could only run PCI-E -1 video cards on that Mobo as it was an old DELL in XP so I ran an 8600GT 512 DDR3 got avg 30 FPS

I think You won't be Happy much under 3.0. . . .2.8 minimum

After some careful consideration and since I haven't upgraded my rig since this time last year I've decided to give her some spit-and-polish. I just ordered a new CPU and an additional 5770HD card to Crossfire. My rig has been holding back my enjoyment a bit on games (namely Total War) and I figure this upgrade will hold me off until next year when I will probably upgrade my MB. I can OC this CPU from 3.0 to 3.4-3.5 as people have had success in that range and hopefully this setup will get me some beautiful graphics/solid performance on OFF.

Here's a link to my new beauts' which should be arriving in about 3 days.

1) AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core

2) SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VX-2L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit

Edited by Shiloh

While a little out of my league, O.C. is a tremendous producer of HEAT. OFF is a known Heat Producer So an aftermaket cooler is called for . . .nothing drastic . . . .air is fine . . . but needed

I've personally never OC'd but I understand this CPU reacts very well to it. The reviews on this CPU have been exceptional and I don't think you can beat a quad-core 3.0 for under $100. U.S. Thanks for the tip on OFF as I'll have to keep an eye on the heat. I'm not sure I need to OC it but it's good to know I can if needed.

Well I received CFS3 today and installed. I ordered the HitR expansion and dowloaded and now I'm just waiting for "Between Heaven & Hell" DVD, joystick and the TrackIR 4 I ordered late last night. My CPU is enroute as well and I decided to nix the additional 5770HD card which I don't believe will help me in this game and used the extra money for the TrackIR. I'm dying to play but patience is key here and I'll have all my components soon enough. Was there some settings I needed to adjust on CFS3 right off the bat? I thought I saw that mentioned here and if I find that section here on the forums, I'll work on that today.

On a bright note, I just found out that my wife is taking the kids to see Grandma in another state on Saturday and may stay over until Sunday so I pray heartily that I have everything I need by then so I can fly unencumbered for 24 hours or until I fall asleep at the stick and crash my crate into the French countryside.

Edited by Shiloh

Was there some settings I needed to adjust on CFS3 right off the bat?

You need to update it to some specific versions, I forgott which it was - 1.3 or 1.3a.

Best you check all installation questions and advice here:

http://overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm

You need to update it to some specific versions, I forgott which it was - 1.3 or 1.3a.

Best you check all installation questions and advice here:

http://overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm

Thanks Olham!

That's cool you're going to be all set up when it gets there. Took me a few hours to get OFF configured the way I wanted it... then another year to learn how to not die constantly

That's cool you're going to be all set up when it gets there. Took me a few hours to get OFF configured the way I wanted it... then another year to learn how to not die constantly

Great...I have a year of dying to look forward to. :good: I just want to get up there flying and get a feel for it...ahhh patience.

Patience is a virtue, and in OFF it is downright essential. Get impatient in a dogfight and you may well get dead. Of course, in the virtual skies it's only 'mostly dead'. And there's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Now, mostly dead is still slightly alive. But all dead...well..with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do. Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

:grin:

Javito: Took me a few hours to get OFF configured the way I wanted it...

...then another year to learn how to not die constantly

Shiloh: Great...I have a year of dying to look forward to. :good:

RAF_Louvert: there's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

Now, mostly dead is still slightly alive. But all dead...well...

:rofl:

You guys are priceless! No way a lady would ever understand or even follow our banter! :grin:

Edited by Olham

Patience is a virtue, and in OFF it is downright essential. Get impatient in a dogfight and you may well get dead. Of course, in the virtual skies it's only 'mostly dead'. And there's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Now, mostly dead is still slightly alive. But all dead...well..with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do. Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

:grin:

Well, there's always the Zombie option: "Nobody expects a Zombie. Their chief weapon is Surprise... and Fear. Their two chief weapons are Surprise and Fear... and a ruthless morbidity. Erm, their three chief weapons are..." etc.

Shiloh, if you've the CD version of CFS I believe you need to upgrade to 3.1 and then play a mission to initialise it for OFF. That advice might have been superceded but will do no harm to do anyway.

Well, there's always the Zombie option: "Nobody expects a Zombie. Their chief weapon is Surprise... and Fear. Their two chief weapons are Surprise and Fear... and a ruthless morbidity. Erm, their three chief weapons are..." etc.

Shiloh, if you've the CD version of CFS I believe you need to upgrade to 3.1 and then play a mission to initialise it for OFF. That advice might have been superceded but will do no harm to do anyway.

I did upgrade to 3.1 from Microsoft's website - I need to play a mission?

Presume you don't have the DVD (Ubisoft) version (?). That comes already patched and doesn't have to be installed prior to installing BH&H - you just have to have the disc handy for when BH&H asks for it.

Presume you don't have the DVD (Ubisoft) version (?). That comes already patched and doesn't have to be installed prior to installing BH&H - you just have to have the disc handy for when BH&H asks for it.

I looked at the files that were downloaded from the CFS3 disc and most had a 2003 date on them including the application. I don't believe the version I have is Ubisoft and I'm pretty sure I'll have to install the disc when playing. What initially threw me is this is a WW2 sim, and OFF overhauls it to WWI. I had to double-check and make sure I ordered the right disk.

Edited by Shiloh

Well to add further confusion to this discussion my CFS3 disc is the CD version and it's the 3.1 version.

If the package has on the back a green trapezoid looking icon with ZONE.COM on it, it's the 3.1 version of CD and should not need to be modded. I also believe you can figure out what version your disc is by right clicking the CFS3 execute icon and it should say which version.

Oh yes, Shiloh - I'm sure you have the right game - and yes, CFS3 is a WWII flight sim. It's the western European 'theatre' that OFF builds on, and that was common to both wars. After that it's a Cinderella-esque transformation that occurs. :grin:

You may as well have a bit of a poke around in CFS3 as you've now installed and patched it. Somewhere in the front end menus ('Workshop' perhaps), there should be a version number displayed (given what you've done, it should be 3.1.0.0 or similar) - or if you just go to the CFS3 folder and hover the cursor over the .exe file, the pop-up should also show the version.

Well to add further confusion to this discussion my CFS3 disc is the CD version and it's the 3.1 version.

If the package has on the back a green trapezoid looking icon with ZONE.COM on it, it's the 3.1 version of CD and should not need to be modded. I also believe you can figure out what version your disc is by right clicking the CFS3 execute icon and it should say which version.

It does have the zone.com on it so it must be 3.1.

Oh yes, Shiloh - I'm sure you have the right game - and yes, CFS3 is a WWII flight sim. It's the western European 'theatre' that OFF builds on, and that was common to both wars. After that it's a Cinderella-esque transformation that occurs. :grin:

You may as well have a bit of a poke around in CFS3 as you've now installed and patched it. Somewhere in the front end menus ('Workshop' perhaps), there should be a version number displayed (given what you've done, it should be 3.1.0.0 or similar) - or if you just go to the CFS3 folder and hover the cursor over the .exe file, the pop-up should also show the version.

I hovered over the .exe. and it clearly says 3.1. I did install the patch but I don't think it mattered as if it was already 3.1, it likely didn't modify anything. I did play a few missions and was able to get across the English channel and attack some targets/engage some bogeys and each time hit the ground...never was shot down though. It's really hard just using the keyboard to steer/fly/bank...I'm looking forward to that joystick. Thanks for the help guys. :good:

Man, you will appreciate that joystick even more now!

Worse case scenario is that you've wasted a bit of time downloading and installing the patch. BH&H should install over the CFS3 installation you now have, but if you have any problems, you might be able to uninstall CFS3; load BH&H and allow it to take what it needs directly from your CFS3 disc to creat the OFF:BH&H installation.

I think it's safe to say once you have OFF up and running, you won't be wanting to go back to vanilla CFS3 at any time. :cool:

Man, you will appreciate that joystick even more now!

Worse case scenario is that you've wasted a bit of time downloading and installing the patch. BH&H should install over the CFS3 installation you now have, but if you have any problems, you might be able to uninstall CFS3; load BH&H and allow it to take what it needs directly from your CFS3 disc to creat the OFF:BH&H installation.

I think it's safe to say once you have OFF up and running, you won't be wanting to go back to vanilla CFS3 at any time. :cool:

No vanilla for me. The graphics leave a lot to be desired and it doesn't have the "charm" of a WWI sim. I would never play any of these games without a joystick. :no: Hopefully the bulk of my remaining components come tomorrow. I tracked my joystick and it was in a town 40 miles from me this morning so that has to get to me tomorrow.

Well once the joystick arrives, you can start on that learning curve. Even in a WWII plane, you can start getting used to take-offs and landings (maybe some 'dead-stick' landings just to get used to what aspects of flight you can 'control' with your stick (including rudder); angles of approach for landing and just generally 'controlling' the plane. To get closer to OFF, fly as slow as you can (without stalling) so you're not relying on the significantly greater engine power of the WWII plane.

Sure OFF will be different, but if you've zero flight-sim experience until now, it will all help! :good:

Shiloh, when you have a DVD, you do not need to install CFS3. The DVD version is 3.1 or even 3.1a.

OFF will ask for the DVD during install - that's all.

And I would in this case NOT install the whole of CFS3 on my rig. No need to.

100% agreed Even though total setting up won't be needed, it certinally won't hurt because it's very close to the features of OFF

You only wan't quick flight anyway. Just remember Fly CFS3 with all the sliders maxed out

Give a shout if you run into a problem :salute:

Thanks. :salute:

Shiloh, when you have a DVD, you do not need to install CFS3. The DVD version is 3.1 or even 3.1a.

OFF will ask for the DVD during install - that's all.

And I would in this case NOT install the whole of CFS3 on my rig. No need to.

Well I already installed the full version and having received my OFF DVD this morning, I'm currently installing that now...received my joystick as well. I suppose it won't hurt to leave the full version on there. I want to spend some time with the wife and kids today but tonight the skies are mine. :cool: I will look at that settings guide you put together when first launching OFF.

Woo-hoo, Shiloh - all your virtual WWI combat flight Christmasses have come at once! :clapping:

Good luck getting it all up and running.