Sign in to follow this  
MikeDixonUK

OT: Graphics Card Ponderages...

Thanks, Parky - I'll disable hardware acceleration (it was enabled) and give it a shot!

Olham, my system specs are:

GPU: Gainward Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33Ghz

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI

Memory: 4GB DDR2

Sadly ironic if they tried to design it so that it can run on a 'normal' system, but in doing so they accidentally make it run so badly on top of the range ones!

I'm also thinking about upgrading to Windows 7, but to go from XP to 7 requires a clean install, it comes with an 'easy transfer' program to copy accounts and documents and the like, but I'll still have to re-install my programs etc - and of course I might lose my OFF Pilots unless I try to copy everything to my external hard drive and get them to work after I re-install.

But then I'm going to have to upgrade eventually, and the longer I wait the more annoying it will be. :grin:

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Thank you, Mike - the graphic card would be my next investment, before I could play this.

If you're looking for a card, I think one of the most important aspects as far as Cliffs of Dover is concerned is how much Memory the Graphics Card has - on my 1GB ATI 4890 I could run it to a playable standard with Trees on very low, or off - shadows off, grass off, building distance low and building detail low, and with a little bit of a slow down when I was attacking a group of Aircraft (such as if there were 3 or more Bombers near me.)

Where as with a 2GB GeForce 560 Ti I can run it at slightly better FPS with Trees on medium, shadows on (also I now get those proper shadows that move around the cockpit - when I tried them before they were only basic 'area' shadows - maybe a more advanced shader model or something?) grass on, building distance medium and building detail medium and without the slow down with groups of Aircraft (although I've only tested on attacks with 9 or so bombers in the formation - I'll have to use the FMB and test it out with some bigger formations)

Also interestingly when I record videos in Cliffs of Dover they hardly slow the game down at all (in Over Flanders Fields and WW2OL I usually get a 10FPS or so drop) - maybe that's because Cliffs of Dover isn't using the processor to it's full potential, so the CPU has some extra power to use on the recording software?

CFS3 can use two cores, or so I heard. If you had a quad core CPU with 3.3 GHz, it should run like hell,

cause the other two cores could share the other jobs.

Thank you for the tips, Mike.

Mike,

One other little thing you can look at that may be responsible for your 2D issues. Go into your Nvidia Control Panel/Manage 3D settings. By default the power management mode will be set to "Adaptive". Try switching that to "Prefer maximun performance". That should "force" the clocks on your card to stay at 3D levels. Your card'll run a fair bit warmer when not in a game, but I suspect it may be crapping out in 2D when the power state is going to idle.

I had this problem with my 5970 when the clock speeds would drop to ridiculously low idle speeds. It would run in games just fine, but occasionally would lock up on me when I was just looking at a web page. Sound familiar? Solved it temporarily by creating a custom power profile and forcing it to load on boot, but had to wait for an updated BIOS from Sapphire which addressed it permanently.

Cheers,

Parky