Sign in to follow this  
stingray77

Adding those beautiful airfield machinery to my SF2V

Two things - simple one first:

me stupido! I always felt sorry for the trees in the 'Nam Expansion Pack being screwed with one of TKs updates... (The more with the addition of helos in the latest XP-Update.) So I moved on with updating the game and the XP...

BUT I kept copies of my originaly SF2V May2009b-install and mod folder...

So, it was an easy task now simply adding the latest XP with all the other beautiful add-ons (like aircraft!) to that install parallely.

Now I have the choice of either playing the game on TKs latest patch - with DX10-lighting - or turning my Vista's Aero off and playing the May2009b version INCL. the trees! :cool:

Coming to my "original" question:

several screenies show a bunch of such nicely done airfield equipment like starter tractors, barrels and things like that. I think this is included in some other environment-mod... Can that be "extracted" somehow and carried over into the Vietnam Expansion Pack???

Same with the Aircraft Carriers seen elsewhere?

If so, how?

Here a screenie taken from the screenie-tread (by Gustav pg 165):

post-52148-0-83677900-1302762875.jpg

the starter generator and ladders are part of the F-5B (aircraft) model!

I think there is a way to extract the parts out of the model.

But there for you need the max file and big knowlede in max. :grin:

...which is limited - unfortunately. So: no joy...

How about the truck, the light-poles and the red/white bars around them and eqipment?

Trucks ---> Stock Thirdwire groundobject

Light - red-white bars came with the terrain (3rd party add on)

1) locate the item in the terrains _Types.ini

2) locate the LOD in the terrain folder

3) open LOD with hexeditor, "Search/Find ..." bmp/and or tga (do BOTH)

4) note names of skin maps (the bmp or tga)

5) with hexeditor still open, copy/paste the necessary filse (bmp, lod and ini -if required) into terrain folder to be modified

6) copy/paste entry of object from it's original _Types.ini into the _Types.ini of the terrain in question; renumber to fit sequence

7) SAVE the modded _Types.ini

Now the fun reeeaaalllllly begins...

8)open targets ini, locate airbase to be 'eyecandied'.

9)Using the 'targets test.msn, as described in the SF1 KB by Some Genius ™ in this thread:

http://combatace.com/topic/44621-adding-objects-to-your-target-areas/

locate the offset (as described in that tutorial) for the object to be added.

9) transfer that information to the _Targets.ini, also as specified in aformentioned tutorial

It should be noted at this time, however, that Piecemeal has already done the 'eyecandy' for the VNSEA airfields ..and I can't find the damn thing!! and it's in my SF2V VNSEA terrain folder! --but search for "PIECEMEAL'S AIRFIELD MOD ADD-ON FOR STARY'S 'GREEN HELL 3' TERRAIN" (at least that's what the readme calls it)

HOWEVER...

It may NOT be compatable with the Vietnam Mod/Expansion (and most likely isn't)

The only problem I have with such a mod, is that not ALL airfields are fully military -- depending on the where, it may be civilian General Aviation/Internatinal airport or mixed use (civil/military -very common!!)

but, there ya go!

EDIT: I'd also suggest becoming intmately familiar with EVERY object in EACH _types ini, and ALL the GroundObjects (as they'll need entries added, too) Truck (both Zil and US, the Jeep, both FuelTrucks are already listed in ALL _Types ini, as TK has them sitting around the various stock airfields)

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench
forgot something!

Aaaargghh - overkill!:yikes:

Guess I'll leave everything as it is... I am definitively not that unhappy with the XP, to tackle such a thing.....:heat:

But thanks for the how-to.:drinks: