Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT Braveheart

This is going to sound sooooo corny FlyPC...but it was only after reading your latest post...that a childhood memory sprang into my dusty old head!

Do you remember the Ladybird books of history?...god!...I had them all!...I had completely forgotten about them!

And in this book...there was a great picture of Robert, striking the other guy...with, yes...an axe..on horseback!

I had the whole set...my favourite was Henry V... I bet you can't get them anymore, except on ebay....I would love t flick through their pages!

(it was the Ladybird book of coarse fishing, that set me off in that hobby as a child!

wonderful stuff

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Oh dear!...they ARE still around...I've just bought six!!!

(the Wife is gonna go ape-sh*t)

Yes, those Ladybird books gave you a great idea about historical figures when you were a kid ... they always looked so noble! I was really shocked when I found out that Bruce had killed one of his rivals in church. My exact reaction was, 'he wasn't like that in the Ladybird book'!

I had the 'Story of Flight' one as well. The illustration of early WW1 aerial combat was classic, with an observer in a British pusher type aiming a rifle at an inscrutable goggled pilot in an eindecker type holding some kind of carbine or such. Not that accurate, but a great atmosphere to the picture.

Make that seven books Wayfarer!!

(might as well get hung for a Sheep, as a Lamb eh?) :lol:

Make that seven books Wayfarer!!

(might as well get hung for a Sheep, as a Lamb eh?) :lol:

Does that mean, by chance, that you have bought a copy of 'The Story of Flight'?

Hihi, funny, the memories of the books from our youth.

Maybe reading them again will bring up some long forgotten memories, Widow?

I do not know, if those Ladybird books got translated into German - I guess not -

but your story brought back memories of a series of comic books made after

classic literature - "Illustrierte Klassiker".

I had several of them in that age, when you still prefer comics to books.

Here is one title I had - Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar"

(Sob! Look at the price! It cost only 1,- Deutsche Mark back then, which would be

50,- Eurocent! You wouldn't get it today below 5,- Euro, I guess.)

Edited by Olham

Does that mean, by chance, that you have bought a copy of 'The Story of Flight'?

Indeed it does!...I shall scan and upload that pic for you m8! :good:

Hihi, funny, the memories of the books from our youth.

Maybe reading them again will bring up some long forgotten memories, Widow?

I do not know, if those Ladybird books got translated into German - I guess not -

but your story brought back memories of a series of comic books made after

classic literature - "Illustrierte Klassiker".

I had several of them in that age, when you still prefer comics to books.

Here is one title I had - Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar"

(Sob! Look at the price! It cost only 1,- Deutsche Mark back then, which would be

50,- Eurocent! You wouldn't get it today below 5,- Euro, I guess.)

That looks great Olham...yes, as soon as I saw the cover of that Robert The Bruce book...it all came flooding back!

I look forward to my new collection starting! :good:

Indeed it does!...I shall scan and upload that pic for you m8! :good:

Brilliant! I'll look forward to seeing that again after all this time (hope you don't get into too much hot water from the Wife).

And Olham that is a splendid example of just the sort of thing that inspired my interest in history when I was a kid. As I found out that things were often not as depicted in books or films, it only made me more interested , but I've never lost my affection for those kinds of illustrations for the sheer atmosphere they conveyed to me when I was young.

Edited by Wayfarer

Yes, those Ladybird books gave you a great idea about historical figures when you were a kid ... they always looked so noble! I was really shocked when I found out that Bruce had killed one of his rivals in church. My exact reaction was, 'he wasn't like that in the Ladybird book'!

Well, the Medieval church wasn't the nonviolent thing it's tried to be come since. Prelates were temporal rulers, led armies, manipulated politics, conspired in assassinations, etc. Thus, to lay rulers, neither churches nor churchmen were any different than their own castles or themselves.

I never had such books when I was little. Before I could read and my Dad read me bedtime stories, he always picked a real history book as serious as those we all read today. His favorite subject was WW2 naval battles, being as he was a veteran of that, but we also did WW1 pilot memoirs, archaeology, and ancient history. By the time I was 6, I could give a blow-by-blow of the Battle of Midway and point out all the key points that caused the result. I also knew about attacking 2-seaters from under the tail from having heard Biddle's stories from Fighting Airman. Thus, by the time I could read for myself, I went straight into adult history books myself. I honestly had no use at all for fiction and literature, apart from required reading in school, until I got into high school and learned of such authors as Voltair, Rabelais, Cervantes, and Twain, plus developed a taste for Shakespeare.