Sign in to follow this  
Von Paulus

OT: According to the Red Cross I'm a criminal

General note:

It would seem that some members of The Red Cross and The Red Crescent have too much time on their hands. Or maybe they're trying to misdirect us from how ineffective they are at policing this situation in the real world. OTOH (and I say this as one who does not play any war-based games except OFF), I think points added and/or advancements based on the amount of damage both material and human to both sides and civilians and penalties for anything that could be commonly considered a violation of international conventions up to and including termination of one's career might provide a level of realism for those who choose to take that step that we enjoy here in OFF.

To Zmelli:

Your post brought to mind the Playstation 3 commercial in which the characters from these different games are gathered at a tavern and talking about the various dark times in their respective games and how "he" rescued them all and they all start chanting "Michael" and raising their glasses to the picture of the dorky-looking kid with a controller in his hands. I love that one.

To Flyby:

I believe (at least I remember reading somewhere) that the lack of swastikas is not based on pc but on $$$. Apparently the emblem is expressly forbidden in some countries even in a historical context and having them on the vertical stabilizers would make the game unsellable in those countries.

To Hasse, Hellshade, WM, and all those of like mind who haven't spoken up:

The rules of warfare absolutely apply only to a war's losers. In total war both sides play fast-and-loose with the rules. But the winner gets to decide which of those liberties are operationally justified and which are unconscienable crimes against humanity. I'm basically guessing here, but I believe My Lai was the first real case of a country holding its own soldiers accountable for actions taken during a war, and that was more an attempt to appease the American public who had become highly anti-military.

On a personal note, I try to fly OFF by the standards set by Hauptmann Heidemann in "The Blue Max". My first priority is bringing back my entire flight safely and if the enemy retreats I pursue them only to a point. In fact, and I'm not looking for cowardly opponents here but, I hope that P4 includes AI who have a sense of self-preservation. That is to say, if we damage them sufficiently they'll break contact or even attempt (and sometimes manage) an emergency landing. To be fair, I've seen it attempted a few times, but it's always resulted in a firey crash. It would be nice to have a few "forced down, captured" to go along with the "kills".