Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Favorite Non War Aviation Film

I am surprised that no-one has chosen any of the films basedon books written by Ernest K Gann.

Although not a patch on the book (It only covers one of the incidents in the book), I must mention ‘Fate Is The Hunter’.

Even if you don’t watch the film, the book is brilliant and readily available on Amazon.

Edited by propman

An F-80 painted black is a Yak-7? How cheesy.! I love the digital age where you can order up any plane (or monster) you want..

Yes, but it also had : B-29 with Parasite Fighter ( Bell X-1 ? ) a ( F-94 ?) Starfighter practise night interception with a B-36 , F-86 s F-80 or T-33 s and a Nubile Janet Lee :blink:

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines is one of my all time favorites. I watched it a few weeks ago on cable. But at the other end of the aviation era is the movie The Right Stuff. I love the scene where Chuck Yeager tries to break an altitude record in the F-104.

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines is one of my all time favorites. I watched it a few weeks ago on cable. But at the other end of the aviation era is the movie The Right Stuff. I love the scene where Chuck Yeager tries to break an altitude record in the F-104.

Why didn't I think of that? My dad worked on the Saturn 5 project and I spend my early years Down South at different assembly plants & rocket testing sites. I am still blown away by family pictures of those huge rocket engines laid out on the factory floor. Great movie!! Does an excellent job of capturing the feeling of the era: that we were accomplishing something truly great.

What about Apollo 13?

Edited by BirdDogICT

Thing about NASA is that it's the biggest waste of money which a cynic like myself has never once considered to be a waste of money....

To me it typifies what we can achieve when we don't leave the bean counters in control.As a UK citizen, I'd be quite happy to see my taxes going towards NASA instead of watching it circle around the plughole on it's way to line some greedy ineffective fat cat's pocket.

Edited by Flyby PC

Thing about NASA is that it's the biggest waste of money which a cynic like myself has never once considered to be a waste of money....

To me it typifies what we can achieve when we don't leave the bean counters in control.As a UK citizen, I'd be quite happy to see my taxes going towards NASA instead of watching it circle around the plughole on it's way to line some greedy ineffective fat cat's pocket.

Hear, Hear!

Or is it Harumph, Harumph!?

Harumph? No one mentioned "Blazing Saddles". And it's not an aviation film. Although who could forget Lillie von Schtupp, the Teutonic Tit-willow? :drinks: