Sign in to follow this  
harryleith

Multiplayer in WOE in Win7?

This is a long and sorry tale. I own all the SF2 series games and enjoy blasting around the sky on my own. However, a friend suggested we play multiplayer and we bought WOE, installed it on our respective PCs and enjoyed blasting each other out of the sky. So far all is roses...

I have just bought a new laptop - a 13inch MacBook. being a bit of a geek, I thought "I can install Windows XP onto this under BootCamp and then when I visit my friend we can blast each other some more". We have used WinXP and WOE on my mate's Mac laptop and it works just fine. Unfortunately, the latest version of BootCamp on the latest laptops only supports Win7. This is OK for all the other stuff I have to do on it (work and similar dull pursuits) but not so good for skyborne gorefests.

My question is can WOE (08 patch) run under Win7? I read the forum posts about getting it going under Vista and assume similar things will probably work under 7. Secondly, if it is running in DX9 under Win 7, are all the DirectPlay bits that WOE multiplayer depends on likely to be working?

I just wondered if anyone has any Win7/WOE multiplayer experience before I go jumping through hoops to set it up on my laptop. If it is possible and can probably - forums willing - get it working, but it would be nice to know it is feasible before I start.

Otherwise I will just keep a spare WinXP PC handy and tote it and all the associated gear the 300kms to my mate's house when I visit...

I can't answer the multiplayer component for Win7, but any of the Gen1 series (SFP1/WOV/WOE/WOI/FE) will work just fine on Win7 in both 32 and 64 bit with no modification. You may have to install DX9 from Microsoft, but that won't hurt anything.

FC

and install the game to the root of the C/ drive (ie: C:/Wings Over Europe), NOT to the /Program Files (x86) as that's a protected region, and you wo't be able to make changes/mods to the inis and such.

Thanks FastCargo and Wrence. Always appreciate your guidance. @Wrench - your explanation of where to save the files here is very clear and crystalised what I had already read on the forums. Thanks again and I will try and get in going.

Worked like a charm! Let the air combat maneuvering begin!

Alright! Just had a 3-player with a MacBook running Win7, A PC running Win7 and an iMac running XP. Worked like a charm! Thanks guys.