Sign in to follow this  
Buddy1998

Modified DM files from HPW and Fortiesboy

Modified DM files from HPW and Fortiesboy

View File

(revised 11/4/2012)

IMHO This is the most balanced DM that I've played so far. So, now I have a harder time to take out enemies in multiplane dogfights. Mostly, I just hit and run to save my own craft from turning into swiss cheese. Dogfights are more satisfying and aces are a bit harder to destroy.

Planes can still maneuver after taking just a few hits. I believe that the reason for this is that I adjusted the probability to hit parts of the plane according to the surface area. In the stock DM, most all probabilities were set at 100%. For example, now you'll have about a 10% chance to hit the aileron instead of 100% chance. So, it's not the first thing to get hit unless you aim for that part of the plane.

Since I don't have a way to view the exact location or size of the damage boxes on each plane, I had to estimate where the damage boxes would be based on the name of the damage box in the xdp file.

Other modifications are:

-Inline engines have a 20% greater chance to get hit than rotaries

-Lower the cable hit points on all aircraft to be more or less the same

-Fuel leaks will start when the fuel tank reaches 20% of its hit points and explode when 45% or more of its hit points are gone. (vanilla is set to explode when all hit points are gone)

-Oil leaks will start when 20% of its hit points are gone and loose all its oil when 45% of it is destroyed.

(vanilla is set at 100% to destroy the oil reservoir)

This will be my final version unless I get a bug report from someone.

My contribution was only very minor, so all credits go to OBD software for their great sim,

Installation is through Jonesoft's Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME).

I still recommend to backup the aircraft folder locted at CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\aircraft just to be on the safe side.

CREDITS - I appreciate the help from the following OFF members:

Herr Prop-Wasche

OlPaint01

Fortiesboy

Bletchley

Wels

Bullethead

Well done Buddy. I really enjoy the fact that just a couple of rounds won't cripple my plane or the enemy nearly as much as it once did. I didn't see a single flying flamer, nor were the planes "flying tanks" that took a 100 rounds to shoot down. This is some really good stuff. Keep up the great work. drinks.gif

Hellshade

I've completed testing my new modifications for the DM and IMHO it's at just the right level of difficulty.

I only worked on the probabilities to hit each structure based on the surface area exposed. So, cables and similar strutures have a very low chance to hit while the body has a higher chance. For example, when shooting from a distance without getting up close, you're more likely to hit the larger exposed parts of the plane. You need to get up close to the engine or pilot to hit them, otherwise you're most likely to have random hits depending on the probability.

The hit points remained the same and were not adjusted. Now I can see the visual damage including smoke from engine hits, oil/fuel leaks. Also, the wings don't easily snap off.

I've noticed that with my below average flying ability, I either can't bring down any planes or not more than 1 plane per engagement. Most of the time in several plane dogfights I can either severly cripple a planes or force it to land, then I have to get out to save my own life.

This DM is totally different from the previous one and is more challenging.

I'll take a few days in between my busy work life to complete all of the planes, so stay tuned.

Sounds great. I am looking forward to downloading your mod of my mod when it is done and my home computer is back and running. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Herr Prop-Wasche. I've just uploaded my final version. When you get all settled with your new powerhouse computer, please see if you can give my mod a try and let me know what you think.

Hi Buddy1998. I've download this mod in order to give it a go but do you know if it will be compatible with HPW's Flight Models or AI empty weights mod that he has out?

Yes, they should work together fine as these mods alter different file types.

HPW's mod will alter the cfg and air files and mine will alter the xdp files, so they will not be altering the same file.

I'd like to know what you think of the modded damage model after you've played with the sim for a bit. It will help me learn and improve the mod.

Buddy

Just completed 2 campaign missions (lasting 1 hour 30 minutes each) using your mod. From what I have seen so far, I am very pleased with the realism and tweaking that you have done. The planes damage feels just right in some respects. I have seen instances of aircraft being shot to ribbons and just about managing to stay airborne, of wings being shot off after a long burst in to the wing structure, and the poor chap plummeting to the ground. I have also seen a few aircraft go down after only a few hits as if the pilot was hit, killed or knocked unconscious as the aircraft was also seen to go into a vertical dive and hit the ground with no significant signs of damage elsewhere to the planes structure. Like I have stated. This seems more realistic and certainly more varied which is always a plus for me personally. However, (and I don't know if it is associated with your mod) dogfights lower down towards the ground often end up with the AI pilots stalling their aircraft and hitting the ground. I presume that this is the AI aspect to OFF and may not be related to your mod directly. Great work so far Buddy1998. I will certainly try out HPW's FM and Weight mods with this mod and will report back to you after a few days how they fair with each other.

Jamie.