Hi, all, and thanks for the responses on setting up merged SF2. I am glad to get back into this game after a couple years. I'm the guy that still has the original walmart "bootleg" CD.

I am having a significant problem with stability in the game responding to joystick commands. I have a lot of experience with the CH combatstick, throttle, pedals and it is set up and generating proper commands and working fine in other sims. alt + right arrow key for example, will send the commands "alt right arrow" and it's all accurate by testing. what happens in the game is that at times it responds only to the 3 axis and doesn't respond to mapped keys. other times it redesignates the device order such that joystick is USB 1 one time, and USB 3 the next time I try to play. Sometimes it won't even respond to keys sent from my keyboard as if the keyboard stopped working (it hasn't)! Without changing anything i can exit the game, restart it, and it may work fine the next time. Then nada. I. The game appears to be making all sorts of random changes in game control responses.

I have forgotten a lot about opening cat files for mods etc and don't even know if that needs to be done. i have checked and rechecked the default.ini in the saved games subfolder. i did not load the march hotfix; however, because my SF2 merge was just updated to 4/2012.

Any help is appreciated. It's an awesome game but no fun w/o HOTAS control, or, at times, not even direct keyboard control.

Thanks, Mark Davis

What patch are you at now?

The March hotfix fixed a few control mapping problems - which was why it was rushed out - so advise you get that asap

I don't think it's the March hotfix, I d'loaded all the April installers and re-installed and have no control issues. However, Streakeagle has a post over at ThirdWire somewhere; in it he said he suddenly developed problems with a Saitek keyboard he'd used for years,due to a patch. If you have another keyboard available, try it. Again the March hotfix is no longer available because it's incorporated in the April patch/installers.

Edited by SupGen

thanks guys. actually i had the march install, did the SF2merge, and shortly thereafter, got a notice of "update available". it was the 4/12 update but i think it was a patch, not a whole new installer. do you suggest i just redownload the entire 4/12 installers? this merge is still vanilla so it's no big deal.

mark

The latest patch has the fix in it anyway so its not that. If the keyboard doesn't always send keys commands then try plugging it in a different USB port, or if its wireless replace the batteries - or better yet chuck it and get one with a cable.

thanks guys. actually i had the march install, did the SF2merge, and shortly thereafter, got a notice of "update available". it was the 4/12 update but i think it was a patch, not a whole new installer. do you suggest i just redownload the entire 4/12 installers? this merge is still vanilla so it's no big deal.

mark

Migbuster thanks i had read that had happened to you. Very weird. I started from scratch and set the CH HOTAS differently and the game reads it much better. It works now with both USB and wireless keyboard. Still odd I think.

Mark

I had same problems with my warthog every thing checked out when I tested my config but once in the game! It was very frustrating to track down.I found that some key commands I was having trouble with I just remarked out and the sim assigned the function. ie- I was having trouble with my trigger whenever I shot at something it was like it was on semi couple spurts,I remarked out the spacebar command in my config and then it worked! TK had said something like not double programming the keys but I dont know how you get your other buttons configured without assigning a key command,I was just using the defaults not changing anything.But if you have trouble with a programmed command and it's a default key command try removing it from your config file and see if the program is using the same default key command.:salute: