RWR Sounds

*updated to 1.1 to better mesh with lock tone mod, is now much quieter*

Inspired by the distinctive RWR audio cues used in Janes F-15, I re-created a similar sound using Audacity (though keep in mind, I havn't played F-15 in a decade...)

This mod may have no grounding in reality, but damnit, it sounds cool to me, so I am uploading it in case anyone else is interested in it.

For an example of it in action, skip ahead to 1:50 to hear the tracking audio, which switches to the launch audio at 2:00 at

Installation: Unzip the 'Sounds' folder into your SF2 mods folder (by default C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\ThirdWire\[executable name])

If using one of the alternate sounds, rename the chosen file to simply RWRLockSound.wav or RWRTrackSound.wav as appropriate.

To uninstall, simply delete RWRLockSound.wav and RWRTrackSound.wav from the 'Sounds' folder

Edited by aube

Hmm, sorry about the stupid thread title. First time uploader, didn't know the 'file name' field was actually how the name of the download/thread was going to show.

we can edit that easily ... in fact, you'll see I changed the 'main title' for you!

Wow. Great job on these. Really improves immersion over the stock "beeps". They remind me of the RWR audio from the Iron Hand mission in FOTI (the movie, of course).

They end up being a little too loud for me, though. When you're being tracked by a FireCan for 10 minutes, it can get a little annoying! :grin: I'm going to try adjusting the volume of the files down just a little. IIRC correctly from "When Thunder Rolled," the author commented that they'd turn the RWR audio down because listening to s generic search radar for hours could get a little annoying...

Edited by malibu43

You're right on that count, I almost spent more time playing with the volume on the sounds than anything else and it IS a bit on the loud side still. I'll see about updating the package with it cut down some more when I have time a bit later.

I'm sure in real life, I'd want the RWR loud! I'd want know if someone was (or was ready to) shoot something at me!

But when I'm at home at the kitchen table and my wife is 20 feet away in the living room, loud probably isn't such a great idea. :grin:

(DEE-DOO DEE-DOO DEE-DOO DEE-DOO DEE-DOO DEEDLE DEEDLE DEEDLE DEEDLE...) "What the hell is that annoying noise!?!? Turn it the f#&k down!?!?!" :grin:

Edited by malibu43

For sure, I probably could have given it more than an evening's testing before uploading, but got excited that it turned out more or less like I hoped. At any rate, I uploaded a new version with the old files, new ones that are half as loud (if it's still an issue, I can throw more in there that are even quieter, they're tiny files anyways), and just for fun, an alternate tracking sound that alternates half as fast. Options for everyone's tastes, 'cause why not. These arn't too hard to make, so if anyone has requests for other modifications, feel free to ask.

Edited by aube

Maybe not the right place to ask, but I show that I have 1 new message, but when I click I get an error [#10226] You are not allowed to use the private messaging system.

Any ideas?