Sign in to follow this  
Shotgun 27

SF2NA: Aircraft Angle of Attack

I posted this over at the TW forums as well, but I thought I'd post it here to see if anyone had seen the same thing.

Since the release of SF2:NA, it seems the player aircraft and the AI aircraft fly at a different angle of attack. I'm using a merged install of all SF2 titles and expansion packs patched to May 2012. This occurs with all aircraft, both stock ThirdWire birds and third-party aircraft. I have the difficulty settings at "customized", with everything but the flight model set on Normal. The flight modelling is set to "Easy". I've attached an example of the issue, using the stock F-100D.

post-47882-0-49557600-1339307167.jpg

post-47882-0-29341000-1339307179.jpg

As you can see from the above images, the angle of attack on my wingman's plane is clearly higher than mine. This is with the wing leveler engaged and holding a steady altitude, so it isn't mistaken for climbing or anything like that. This is reproducible very easily for me (pick a plane and fly). I was curious as to whether this was a known issue or had been reported?

I'm assuming this has something to do with the AoA of the taildragger planes, too - a possible side effect from the fixes to those?

Well, the AI flies at Normal flight model.

You're flying at Easy flight model.

Try flying at Normal flight model and see if there is a difference.

FC

Well, the AI flies at Normal flight model.

You're flying at Easy flight model.

Try flying at Normal flight model and see if there is a difference.

FC

Setting the flight model to Normal resolves the issue, so I guess it's simply a matter of being messed up with the Easy flight model. Oh well! I can deal with it, not a huge issue.

Likewise setting yours at Hard will result in differences from the AI's behavior as well.

TK confirmed the behavior was as designed, pointing out that using the easy flight model, the aircraft goes where you point the nose instead of using any sort of angle of attack. Makes sense then and I'm kind of annoyed I overlooked the flight modeling difference and automatically assumed it was a bug. Silly me.

Edited by Shotgun 27

seems my AI and Autopilot cant land on carriers without going up and down.