@DA,

Are you planning on adding your Phantom mods and decals? I would love to get an integrated pack.

i can no prob. doin a touch up for the new DLC right this moment and the skins really are just Sundowners with unit markings blanked out. personally (yeah i know blasphemy) i like the DLC skins and am gonna use them in my own installs. but can shoot all three decal folders over here when i upload the DLC tweek.

also big thanks for the lesson on place holding. three squadrons to move after this DLC and the impending patch but not as bad as reworking the whole frakkin thing as i had been doing....

and finally a curious thing about squadrons. i have 5 Danish squadrons added but cannot seem to get them to show in drop down. bout to post on TW forums to see what i'm doin wrong. all other units show just fine. think it has to do with decals available for units. here is 98% complete squadronlist so you can maybe see what im talkin about.

stil wanna add the Norwegians and flesh out the Danes abit. also any other countires for stock games and campaign improvement would be appreciated but i honestly don't mess with Isrreal or Vietnam much. have them to improve my Europe game so ideas from those that fly more in there would be appreciated.

and HF i added your reserve squadrons from 716 thru 728. but i only remembered them after posting above. as said 98%......

No problem, DA. With 716-728, I at least know which numbers correspond to which squadron for decals.

I just installed the new DLC last night, but haven't had a chance to look at the skins in game yet. That will be today.

Thinking of your post-Vietnam squadron decals, approximately what year or range of years are those? My thinking is that if we can put the SQNAME and number files in a consolidated folder (I use Num_LVG, Num_White, et al) and assign the tail decals to a timeframe (e.g. 1975) then we set a foundation for ourselves or others to build on. The concept is similar to the suggestion I made on the 3W forum, in which we assign decals to years, though without the engine doing it automatically per my suggestion in that post, we can assign it manually via different variants. This is actually what I do with the A-6 Superpack.

For example, if you have phantom specific decals for 1965 and decals for 1978, you would put them in folders like F4_1965 and F4_1978. Then have your skins for the F-4C_65 pull F-4 specific decals from F4_1965 and the F-4E_78 pull decals from F4_1978. This way you could have era-specific decals for different variants, or even skins within the same variant if you want to go into that detail. While you may have one set of decals now, if you're putting them in a separate folder anyway, this offers you the flexibility for future expansion by yourself or others.

Don't worry about the grunt work: I have a concept of how to do this that I have implemented in the A-6 Superpack and have refined for version 2.0 (though that's still at least "three weeks" out). I can take care of it from my end, but since it is your mod I would like permission to do so (along with a year that you recommend as a placeholder if nothing else).

my pack is for post '74 (post vietnam) after then everything was fairly standard and so no need to go into year break down. i have it divided by white (SEA) black(SEA Wraparound and Euro 1) and Gray (Hill 2) but everything during Vietnam i use the stock T0-1-1-4 skin and decals. mppd has a good set for vietnam era in the gen 1 files, i just haven't had the interest in using them my self. and to steal your quote i already did the grunt work on USAF, just a little tweeking with the new DLC is all. its Navy/USMC that i'm pluggin away at.....

@ JonathanRL did you have a squadronlist for your TSF mod? been lookin for Norwegian squadrons esp. F-104 and F-16 users.....

Edited by daddyairplanes

@DA,

Another observation: Royal Navy 809NAS is duplicated in entries 580 and 591. Probably my own entries combined with your culling of other files. Frees up another spot.

Also, are you planning to add transport, AEW, and Army Aviation units to 1000+, or is that for a follow-up version?

thanks for the catch on 809 Sqn thought i got the duplicates (there actually were a couple).

as for the others right now not so much. i'm thinking of leaving the 900 block for future mods so they have expansion room. already have a seperate one going for Vietnam AGexp. with units that dont mesh with stock (like the A-3 units) running 900 thru i think 945. depending on where i go with NATO i might add Army Aviation( ia am after all a Soldier, so i gotta try!) in the end of the 800 block but otherwise i'm just looking to fill in a few more blanks. i would now hafta agree with you that Awacs can skin in rather than decal though that feature would have been nice with the E-2s stock and my skins for the E-3. but honestly i'm more focused on the guys that drop things off their wings than the support guys.

@ JonathanRL did you have a squadronlist for your TSF mod? been lookin for Norwegian squadrons esp. F-104 and F-16 users.....

I do not. We rely on skins and Campaigns to convey the Squadrons.

DA,

I'm all for leaving as much as we can blank up to 1000. My thoughts were to add squadrons starting at 1000 that we know won't need decals (e.g. squadrons already represented by mods that have skin-specific decals, or Army Aviation and non-tactical squadrons like transport and AEW). Do the placeholder thing again from 8xx-999 and start the entries at 1000.

Also, I would like to add a couple of RAAF Squadrons: 1st Squadron and 6th Squadron. Both flew the F-111, and I'm doing a what-if A-6 that uses both squadrons (the A-6 was considered by the RAAF when they opted for the F-111). From what I understand 6th Sqn is more of a RAG type squadron (as opposed to operational). We could at least put one of the squadrons in one of the 809 dup entries, and the other where it makes sense to do so.

Edited by HomeFries

for the aussies i'll find a spot and let ya know where they are no worries, i have several new spots open with with 809 fix and DLC addon sqns. for the place holder i have NATO sqns in the 800 block but wont fill them past 900. the two main major campaign mods for Gen 2 seem to be Vietnam A&G and NF4+. those i incoporated alot in the squadron list and at least for Vietnam A&G have a seperate add on for the 900 block with support units that i didnt include. Mods like the Falklands require a seperate install to work so are not dependent on a universal list. also any comments on the DLC pack? as said in PM that has most every post vietnam tactical (read bomb dropping not air defense) user represented, in black and gray. sent it to you cause ya said you already had the DLC...

No 6 will be 591, and i'll make 716 into No. 1 Squadron. the 700 thru 750 block currently is sort of a SouthEast Asia block so any other suggets for Thailand, Indoneasia and Austrailia are welcome

Edited by daddyairplanes

I still need to look at the F-4 stuff you sent me. I'm trying to get to a good stopping point with my What-If RAAF A-6 before I look at that.

ok make sure you got the above edit for your squadrons. i am assuming the yare RAAF and not RAN?

Yes. RAAF. I may play with RAN as well; I'll see if the A-6 can be launched from the Melbourne. Should be fun.

light load if so. i thought the Melbourne was based offa early Essex class. still could be interesting...

DA,

I just got a request to do an ARDU skin for the A-6, and while I could easily make this a squadron-specific set of decals, ARDU might be a fun RAAF unit because it is a test unit for the RAAF that has multiple airframes and unique skins. I'd like to drop this into the SEA section if possible.

give it run after homework (never thought i'd have to say that after high school!). history says they started as the 1st Air Performance Unit, but UnitName is seeming tempermental with the danes, and the Ozzies are xRAAF. gotta look up other Aussie units to add in that block esp with Mirage III and F-4E in play by them. Canberra too.

I know that in SF2 the Canberra uses 2nd Sqn, and the Mirages use the circa-400 entries in Squadronlist.ini. From there, 1st sqn flew the F-111 operationally (and I think the F-4 as well), and 6th Sqn is a RAG-type squadron that trains pilots on their specific airframe. ARDU is like the T&E units at Edwards and Pax River. I haven't looked at the rest.

I'm still surprised that the Danish entries are temperamental; I would think it would be easier to just code an engine that reads the UnitName entry without preconception. But I'm also discovering weird things about decals that make no sense and that I can't figure out, but can only make work.

DA,

Sorry for the jerk-around, but I think we can leave ARDU off squadronlist.ini, or at least put it at post-1000. Any skins will be specific to ARDU, so there's no need for level 1 decals and a sub-1000 number.

Also, can you please post your latest squadronlist.ini. I'd like to some decal integration on my end.

Edited by HomeFries

ok on ARDU. they would be possible in a Aussie v Indonesia title fight defending the home turf, but again for the most part i prefer doing tactical units. of course look at TK throwing VX-4 in the mix! not much change on the list right this second just delete the squadron for 616. its a duplicate for 194th FIS thanks to the latest DLC. its not everywhere yet but will be in the next patch so no need for it in the later blocks. in between classes today gonna see what most popular campaign mods are and match up units on those. Falklands i know i can leave off due to its set up it is a seperate install completely. also gotta add Norwegian and some Dhimari squadrons. but with converting major mod squadronlists and leaving open space at the end i think thatll help make it an acceptable universal list. that and almost every Phantom user known to the USAF!

W00t on the Dhimari squadrons.

Just so you know, all I need right now is the squadronlist that has the USNR/USMCR A-4 squadrons and the RAAF 1st and 6th. I know you gave me the entries, but for purposes of configuration control I would rather just get the list from you and not make any changes to the one I have.

ok here ya go. had added ARDU but went ahead and pulled it back. special units like that are likely best done as a specific skin. Dhimar will be easier just gonna use Spinners decal pack and create sqaudrons. plus the unit markings will already be there just need renamed for use. Norway is proving a lil more difficult to match up, not much info in English sources. prob pour thru JonathanRL's campaigns. he didnt use a squadronlist but has a comprehensive campaigns going in his TSF mod. current is not so much the issue its the historical thats bein difficult.

Edited by daddyairplanes

Thanks a lot for putting this together. Could I humbly request some Japanese squadrons added to the big list? These are squadrons missing from the stock list that I have skins and planes for so far:

[squadronXXX]

Name=3JASDF

DisplayName=3 Hikotai

Nation=JAPAN

[squadronXXX]

Name=6JASDF

DisplayName=6 Hikotai

Nation=JAPAN

[squadronXXX]

Name=201JASDF

DisplayName=201 Hikotai

Nation=JAPAN

[squadronXXX]

Name=202JASDF

DisplayName=202 Hikotai

Nation=JAPAN

[squadronXXX]

Name=203JASDF

DisplayName=203 Hikotai

Nation=JAPAN

[squadronXXX]

Name=204JASDF

DisplayName=204 Hikotai

Nation=JAPAN

[squadronXXX]

Name=601JASDF

DisplayName=601 Hikotai

Nation=JAPAN

[squadronXXX]

Name=ADTW

DisplayName=Air Development and Test Wing

Nation=JAPAN

[squadronXXX]

Name=3JMSDF

DisplayName=3 Kokutai

Nation=JAPAN

[squadronXXX]

Name=6JMSDF

DisplayName=6 Kokutai

Nation=JAPAN

[squadronXXX]

Name=203JMSDF

DisplayName=203 Kokutai

Nation=JAPAN

let me look em up. my main considerations for adding are 1. tactical units 2. historical units without double dipping (no 7th FBS, TFS, FIS etc) 3. i prefer to use squadrons that flew planes that are in game. not a concrete rule but one that i try to stick to. the Hakotais should be fine, the kokutais likely not and the test unit could be done as a seperate skin with specific decals, unless you were throwing them into a campaign. don't get me wrong i appreciate suggestions on units, but unlike

Dave told me, i do over think this cause eventually i will run out of room. however for future mods and personal projects i am leaving the 900-999 block open. will have word on what i add after dinner, round bout 4 hours.

Edited by daddyairplanes

ok, No. 3 and 6 are F-2 operators, their version of the F-16. previous seems tobe WW2. 201-204 are F-15 units that also used to operate F-104s. prob Sabres too but didnt peek back that far. 601 is their E-2 squadron. not sure on that one as i want the room in case but its not a flat no. the E-2s are a good candidate for squadron decals, but there are many other iron dropping squadrons that will come first. should i presume the Kokutai's to be what-if?

IIRC, the 601 is part of the E-2 skinpack, so this is a squadron that already has skin-specific decals. Definitely fits the 1000+ criteria.

The Kokutais appear to be limited to helos and maritime patrol aircraft, so not anything flyable in SF right now. My take: they can be represented by UnitName in campaigns, or added to 1000+ if there is enough demand.