Sign in to follow this  
thereg

Question about ground units attacking across water

Has it always been possible to get land units to attack another strategic node that is totally cut off across water?

I have been working on an adaption of Spectre's War For Taiwan, aiming for about 2 weeks of air war followed by amphibious assault. But in the past I couldn't get the Chinese to assault across the Strait, no matter how often I aborted missions to give them the upper hand.

As a workaround I made a tiny piece of the southern tip of Taiwan already under enemy control, but assigned no land units to it until the 2 weeks was up, giving the impression on the map that all was well, until 6 Chinese divisions suddenly pop up.

Then today I was doing more testing to stop some frontline movement problems and I inadvertently got this:

post-57317-0-24021200-1342526520.jpg

So did I just not test for long enough before, or is this new?dntknw.gif

I have tried this a lot of time for TSF and according to my experience, the point where the enemy shall invade cannot be defended. It must also be the most obvious route for the unit to take (i.g fastest way to the objective). Tying more units strategic nodes is also a good way. As a partical measure, having undefended nodes in the water to close the distance also works, but is not optimal in case they meet during the way.

In general, ground war is a mess to program and even worse to predict.

Edited by JonathanRL

+1

I have tried this a lot of time for TSF and according to my experience, the point where the enemy shall invade cannot be defended. It must also be the most obvious route for the unit to take (i.g fastest way to the objective). Tying more units strategic nodes is also a good way. As a partical measure, having undefended nodes in the water to close the distance also works, but is not optimal in case they meet during the way.

I agree totally about the mess.

But I can confirm that in this test I had 5 different China based units simultaneously attacking directly to 4 different Taiwan nodes, all of which were defended. And some of the nodes they were attacking were quite distant from the primary objective (in terms of how many more they would have to fight through to get to victory).

This is the first time I've managed to make it work, gives me hope for a better campaign and headaches at the thought of having to redo what I've already done mega_shok.gif

Let me put it this way.

I avoid making campaigns where I have to worry about a ground war. The Ground War usually takes about 80% of the Campaign Creation Time - at least if I want it done right.