Guest CrazyJow

July 2012 Update Questions and Update General questions

Guest CrazyJow

I'm a new person to SF2 and I've noticed a lot more of the new mods you need the July 2012 update. Currently I'm updated to I think its March 2012 (Came that way when I installed it). I've never updated SF2 and I've read some info but I'm really confused on it. Will I lose all my aircraft, objects and other various things I've downloaded? I haven't messed any .ini files unless I had to for a certain aircraft or to add a squadron or change something that I was told to do in the "readme" files that come with the mods. Any help would be great. I'd really like to finally install a lot of the newer mods you guys have put out. Thanks!

Joe

Guest CrazyJow

Also where can I get the F-14 files. I've been looking and all I can find is the Super Pack Update. I cant find the actual original one with all the F-14's

Does one need to own SF2NA in order to obtain the new avionics feature at April 2012 patch?

I don't think we've tested it on an other than all 5 merged, but if I remember correctly, the avionics features themselves derived from AvionicsF14A.dll. Best answer: you could check it out and see if it works without SF2NA. If so, so much the better! If not, uninstall it.

Thanks for the answer Caesar.

I'm a new person to SF2 and I've noticed a lot more of the new mods you need the July 2012 update. Currently I'm updated to I think its March 2012 (Came that way when I installed it). I've never updated SF2 and I've read some info but I'm really confused on it. Will I lose all my aircraft, objects and other various things I've downloaded? I haven't messed any .ini files unless I had to for a certain aircraft or to add a squadron or change something that I was told to do in the "readme" files that come with the mods. Any help would be great. I'd really like to finally install a lot of the newer mods you guys have put out. Thanks!

Joe

Hello Joe and welcome to CA

When you install an update you will not lose aircraft or sceneries that you have installed. Generally speaking, things you have added to your mod folder shouldnt be effected......things you have changed or editted can be effected when patching. If you have any stand alone installs then you will need protect them before you update. have a read through this http://combatace.com/forum/268-thirdwire-strike-fighters-2-series-knowledge-base/page__prune_day__100__sort_by__Z-A__sort_key__last_post__topicfilter__all there is a thread in there about patching and how to protect your modded files http://combatace.com/topic/55746-patching-made-easy-part-deux/ I would suggest making a backup of your mod folder prior to patching and then if anything does get messed up then you can always drag over the old files from the back-up and replace the ones effected by patching.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Romflyer

Joe,

I'm definitely in the minority opinion on this board, but I like to use Generic Mod Enabler to manage my mods. It does involve an extra step, and you will want to use it to disable your mods prior to patching (unlike the folder renaming technique in the previous post), but it is a very forgiving way for you to learn how mods work with SF2. Quite simply, if you screw something up, just disable the mod and make the correction within the mods folder. Then re-enable the mod. No need to trace back to which mod overwrote files on which other mod (which can be a huge pain until you start to understand how the INI files work). Additionally, if separate mods try to overwrite the same file or use different versions of the same weapon, you can play around to decide which version you like without having to hunt for the files in the original downloads.

Get it here (full disclosure: this is my own MediaFire site since the JoneSoft site went down a while back). It doesn't do anything to the registry, and if you don't like it you can just as easily copy the mods directly to your folder.

Edited by HomeFries

Hi all, I just picked up a copy of SF2:Europe and am really enjoying it (nice change of pace from biplanes in OFF ^.^ ). Thanks for the advice on the mod enabler- I had a copy from when I used to play a lot of Silent Hunter III and had forgotten about it. Works great with SF2:E as I've added a couple of mods (widesky and one of the German landscape enhancements). Love simming with aircraft of my era lol :)