Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Wonderful Photos of the third Albatros D.Va Replica by The Vintage Aviator, New Zealand

God, do I want to fly one of these! Do you think if I make the trip to NZ they'll let me take one for a turn? :biggrin:

Lou, I guess we would get shown round, if we asked them politely, and they'd sense our enthusiasm.

Maybe they'd even invite us to take the back seat in the Brisfit, and watch the Albatros fly next to it.

But they would only give you the craft to fly, if you had the money to pay for it, I guess.

If I should ever win the big jackpot, Lou, then I'll invite you, and we'd both fly to New Zealand!

DEAL! And if I should win the big lotto I'll reciprocate, my friend.

Now, zatt'z ein great Deal, mein Herr! Salut! :drinks:

Edited by Olham

But they would only give you the craft to fly, if you had the money to pay for it, I guess.

I am reminded of the scene in "A Clear and Present Danger" when Harrison Ford (as Jack Ryan)

asks a Central American arms dealer:

"How much for the UH-1 chopper out on the lot?"

The dealer replies, "$5,000,000."

"Can I test fly it?"

"Yes, if you leave a deposit."

"How much of a deposit?"

"$5,000,000."

But I'd have to wonder if they'd turn their baby over to any of us, no matter what the offer. How do you put a price on all those hours of loving, hand-crafted work?

Edited by Hauksbee

Well, as far as I know, they sell them.

This one was sold to Kermit Weeks, owner of "Fantasy of Flight", the possibly biggest aircraft collection in the world.

Well, as far as I know, they sell them.

In that case, let's go for it!

Okay, let me guess - what may the price be? 200.000,- Euro? Yeah, that sounds about right for a handbuilt replica.

Now let me crack my piggy bank - crack - let's see what we got... Hmmmmm.... - Here are 3,70 Euro!

That's a start! Only 199.996,30 Euro left! Maybe it's even cheaper in New Zealand dollars?

Now let's see what you have got? Where's your piggy bank?

:victory:

Five million dollars? Phhht, chump change. I'll just write a check. You do take checks, right? Post-dated to 2054?

Five million dollars? I'll just write a check. You do take checks, right?

The delightful end to the Jack Ryan conversation, was that when the dealer asks for $5,000,000 as a deposit, Ryan lays a business card (identifying himself as the Deputy Director of Operations for CIA) on the desk in front of him and says, "Will you take a company check?" and the dealer simply says,"Yes."

Olham: my piggy bank is probably not any heavier than yours, but for an Albatros, I'll invest it all. I'll even throw in the piggy bank. (It's a start.)