Sign in to follow this  
von Baur

11/11

96 years ago today the fighting ended in The Great War. Most nations that still mark this day on their calendars do so as a remembrance of that and of the suffering in the four years of industrialized warfare that preceeded it. We in the USA have made it a day to honor all veterans of military service, whether or not they fought or even were members during a time of combat operations. My father flew B-17's and B-24's in a squadron that trained the radar bombardiers and one pre-raid radar recon mission over Germany during WWII and my son has one tour in Afghanistan under his belt so far.

:salute: to veterans everywhere, in every country, but especially to those who've faced the ultimate test of honor and courage.

I am with you on that! Bless them all, were it me I'd probably be balled up in a hole crying like a baby!

That's one big reason why I fly combat sims - to remember and to try to apprehend in some way the level of skill and courage of the souls that were sacrificed with horrifying regularity.

:salute:

The end to the war to end all wars... words sometimes are not enough.

Especially when it's followed by the "peace to end all peace".

• Like 1

Especially when it's followed by the "peace to end all peace".

That is so very true... unfortunately its the young and the brave who pay the ultimate price in wars for old men.

A few quotes may be apropriate:

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." --

General Dwight D. Eisenhower

"A professional soldier understands that war means killing people, war means maiming people, war means families left without fathers and mothers. All you have to do is hold your first dying soldier in your arms, and have that terribly futile feeling that his life is flowing out and you can't do anything about it. Then you understand the horror of war. Any soldier worth his salt should be antiwar. And still there are things worth fighting for."

General Norman Schwarzkopf

And finally,

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Lord, that there were a better way.

A few quotes may be apropriate:

Lord, that there were a better way.

"It is good that war is so terrible, otherwise we'd become too fond of it."

General Robert E. Lee

"Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won."

Duke Wellington

But there's always some jerk who makes it necessary. So always remember: He who has nothing to die for has nothing to live for. Keep your bayonet sharp and your powder dry.

No one hates War more then the men/women who have to fight them..

Perhaps someday mankind will find a better way, God Willing..

God Bless all the vets..